I Have A Lot To Learn Bout Food I Guess!

froggydella

Hi everyone.....WOW do I have a lot to learn bout these guys. :help: I have been reading all these things bout what you all feed your fish...hey I just thought get some flakes and they are good to go :idont

So if anyone guide me in the right direction I would love it. I have 2 goldfish: one calico and one black if there is something elese I can give these little cuties I would love to know....Am I hearing this right they will eat outta your hand? WOW....I just got these guys about a month ago so any info would be great....

Thanks Della :newfish

Guest VxShady

Ahh.. you can feed them lots of stuff! :D They love peas! Get some frozen peas, zap them in the microwave for a bit, peel the skin off, and squish up the insides and drop them in the tank. Its also good for them cause it helps clean out their system a bit. I feed mine peas once a week at least.

Every once in a while some fruits are good. Mine love oranges.

Broccoli, carrots, corn, brine shrimp, bloodworms. Sometimes you just gotta experiment with some stuff. If you're ever unsure about something though, you can always ask some one on here.

Another good thing is the gel food. There's quite a few recipes floating around on the site, so you can try one of them.

Hey thanks a lot!! I just tried the pea's and they both went wild :nana . I would of never thought that I could feed my fish anything but "fish" food....WOW

I will be looking for new foods to feed them now....I am thinking bout moving them to a larger tank they are currenty in a 5 gallon tank.....I only have 2 of them but they have grown a lot since I first got them.

I have a ton of questions now....lots of things I never knew about goldfish....I am going to try to think of all the things I want to ask and post them in the approiate place.....

Oh yea one more quick ? will they indeed eat outta my hand? I was going to try but wasn't sure bout that???

Della

Guest VxShady

You have to train them to eat from your hand. What you can do is find a food that they absolutely can't resist.. like the peas.. and keep one pinched between your fingers, and stick your hand in the tank. They'll be wary at first, but eventually one will prolly come up and take a nip of the pea in your hand. Keep your hand still in the tank. Don't scare em.

As for your tank size, yes you will definitely need to go bigger. If the fishys are a double tailed fancy variety, they need a minimum of 10 gallons per fish, meaning you would need a 20 gallon tank. If they are single tailed, they need 20 gallons of water per fish, or a 40 gallon tank. Seems like a lot, but they are messy fish, that grow big, and grow fast. And when you get a filter for the tank, remember that the filter needs to be able to turn over the tank 10 times an hour. If you have a 20 gallon tank, you need at least a filter that will pump 200 gallons per hour.

Guest VxShady

You have to train them to eat from your hand. What you can do is find a food that they absolutely can't resist.. like the peas.. and keep one pinched between your fingers, and stick your hand in the tank. They'll be wary at first, but eventually one will prolly come up and take a nip of the pea in your hand. Keep your hand still in the tank. Don't scare em.

As for your tank size, yes you will definitely need to go bigger. If the fishys are a double tailed fancy variety, they need a minimum of 10 gallons per fish, meaning you would need a 20 gallon tank. If they are single tailed, they need 20 gallons of water per fish, or a 40 gallon tank. Seems like a lot, but they are messy fish, that grow big, and grow fast. And when you get a filter for the tank, remember that the filter needs to be able to turn over the tank 10 times an hour. If you have a 20 gallon tank, you need at least a filter that will pump 200 gallons per hour.

when looking for a good staple diet as in food used in two out of three feedings per day, look for food with low ash contents where the amount being closer to zero% is best, low fiber since high amounts will belittle the nutrients absorbed, and the protein level around 30-40% then try to mix in other foods like peas and carrots during the third feeding per day and perhaps more protein sources for developing fishes. since you want low fiber food and high fiber food in different parts of the diet schedule make sure that the build-up in the system is removed. I can't recall recomended fat percentage but i do know that it should be low.

boiled un-salted skinned green peas

bits of apple

bits of orange

romaine letteuce

chopped shrimp

I could give you the WHOLE list, but I have only two min. till I'm disconnected off the net. I haven't even checked my e-mail yet.

Archived