How Do You Know Your Goldfish Is Growing?

Guest IluvMyBuddy

Guest IluvMyBuddy

Hello everyone!! this is my first time ever in this forum!

The reason i joined is because i do'nt have anyone around me to talk about my new lovely pet Oranda Goldfish Buddy. I've had him a little under a month now and boy was the first couple of weeks stress! I had no idea it took so much to take care of one fish! ^^

I had a concern and I hope someone can answer my question and bring me at ease...

Just the other day as i turned on the little aquarium light for Buddy, i noticed some white discolration on his wen (the crown tumorlooking thing on his head.). I hope it's not a bad sign and it only means he's growing...he's about a year and a half old..or at least that's what vvvv told me..and the tips of his black tail are beginning to have some white clear parts. It's not fin rto because his health is in good condition...Can anyone help me out?

warmly,

Buddy's mommy :3 :krazy:

it would help if I knew the exact params. How long has the tank been up and running?

When my oranda's wen grew, he would get the white pimple like things on his wen, that eventually would turn the natural color of his wen. Is that what they look like? The fin thing your speaking of, does it look fuzzy? You said you looked kinda clear or see through? Is the black possibly fading? Goldfish have a tendency to change colors. I have a gold oranda, and all the tips of his fins are black. Well lately, the black has faded, and gave way to orange. It is completly normal for them to change color. Does this sound like what may be happening?

Guest IluvMyBuddy

aw, i hope he's not changing colors...he's so pretty the way he is...the tank has been up and running for about a month now. I do weekly 25% water changes and feed him three times a day..i recently got done treating him for Ick and he as the white bumps on his pectoral fins 'cause..well...it's breeding season.. ^^ the white on his head is more under or in between the bumps...my fish is moving around a lot and seems pretty happy though...

it is very possible that your tank is still cycling. A few water test could be very helpful. 90% of diseases are brought on by bad water quality. vvvv will test your water for free if you bring in a water sample. You can also buy a test kit. I recommend a master test kit. it will test ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and PH. its the dropper kind, not the test stripes. You can also buy those as well, but I havent liked them as much. But I know for a fact that vvvv will test your water as often as you like, for free.

Normal behavior for most goldfish is, well at least mine, is searching for food most of the day, playing with the other fish, stuff like that. They shouldnt have any split fins, and should eat pretty well at feeding times.

LOL, I was pretty upset when I noticed my goldies black tips fading. Oh well, shes still beautiful.

Guest IluvMyBuddy

thanks so much for your help! i enjoy talking about goldfish..as strange as it may sound ^^

My fish is all by his lonesome self in a tank with just blue rocks at the bottom. I had live plants, but that made my water smell and i know i contributed to the Ick. so i threw those away and decidedto keep it simple especially since i'm in college and can't afford a lot of time.. I also want to avoid the fish breeding...wow

:wacko:

Yeah, live plants can be tough. I just planted my 55 G not too long ago. It took alittle getting used to. proper lights, fertilizers, etc. One way to know if the plants are decaying to to check their roots. if they turn brown, take them out. In my 10 G tropical tank I keep fake plants. Its much easier that way.

Keep up with the 25 % water changes every week. Im pretty sure your tank is still cycling.

LOL, my family thinks im NUTS when i talk about my goldies. They think im obsessed, but I love them sooo much!

By the way, welcome to Koko's. This place is an awsome place to learn about goldies. There is were I learned everything I know today about goldies.

Good Luck, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Thats what were here for!

Guest IluvMyBuddy

WAIT ONE MORE THING!!

i just fed Buddy some frozen Peas and realied they had gone sour!! oh no!! i hope this wo'nt make him sick!!

LOL, yea goldies love peas! hes probably looking for more. mine go nuts when i feed them pees. maybe start buying peas in the can. i do, just because the peas in the freezer end up going bad before I use them all, and a tiny can last for awhile. you can buy the mini ones, like a tuna can size.

Have you tried blood worms yet? Mine love freeze dried ones, but oh my, when i put frozen blood worms in there, they went nutso!!!!!!!!!!! :krazy:

oh they love them! I had never tried the frozen blood worms entil recently. my puffers only eat frozen foods, so i thought i would see how the goldies like them. Have you tried orange slices? I put an orange slice on a veggie ring, and they LOVE it. Fresh fruits and veggies are really good for um.

ive got my fingers crosses, but i doubt it will hurt him. Dont feel bad either, everyone makes mistakes. We learn from our mistakes.

Good Luck with Buddy. By the way, what does he look like? Got any pictures?

I have three goldies in my 55. 2 fantails and 1 oranda. a red and white fantail, an all white fantail and an orange (and some black remaining) oranda. Theres a link to pix of my tank on my signature if your interested.

Guest IluvMyBuddy

he's black and red oranda sorry, i have no pictures of him..and i've checked out your link already. your fish are beautiful!

do you by any chance know how long it takes for a goldfish to poop after he'sconsumed food?

:rofl you know, im not really sure. My fish are always pooping up a storm... but usually mine poop twice a day.... i think :huh: I dont think its very long though. Peas are great for constipation and work kinda like a laxative for goldies. their great for SBD (swim bladder disease) and when a goldie gets constipated.

Archived