Inside A Court Yard In Bagdad, A Small Pond

Guest Old Jumper

Guest Old Jumper

bubbles. My partners in crime and I "requisitioned" a 55 gallon barrel made of plastic. We cut it in half and sunk it in the ground. A pump keeps the water stirring and filters through a plastic box with filter material. The pump, well, lets just say we found it too, made a few modifications and plugged it in.

I left home in January and just got home from a consulting job with the military. It is late here and I am suffering from a first class case of jet lag. I rigged up a pond with members of the bravo company, first ID. Koko's Board is a name now known to fellow Bagdadians as we call them. I hope some of the troops can log in some time.

It is so good to be home and see my country, trees, green grass and the red clay of the Carolinas. It is good to see my pond which survived due to the excellent care provided by my great neighbors. My fish have grown so much!! All are present and accounted for.

At first, the Bravo boys thought I had lost my mind when I announced that Iraq was getting a pond- Koko style. I recruited some fellow assistants and I am pleased to report it was up and running well when I left it. A young Lt. named Jerry Winstadt is supposed to email me pics. I will post them if and when I get them. There were no goldfish around of course, and there were no typical pond plants. We used bottled water to fill the drum and stocked it with plants from the edge of the Tigris River.

We tried to catch minnows to put in the pond to no avail. The great minnow expedition continued and by now the pond should have native fish if all goes well. The name of the local fish species escapes me, but they are similar to shad.

I am going to read up on the pinned topics. It looks like a lot good info on the Board. My neighbors are going to get their first pond by way of Jumper and his shovel for their kindness. I see some of the regulars are on the Board. I hope all of you are well and your ponds are flourishing.

It is late and I am heading back to the rack as they say. This is not the forum this type of discussion. But I do want to say that regardless of your position on this war, the men and women of the United States military are the finest in the world. Each one is a hero in my book. Having served for 25 years, I can tell you they are wonderful, dedicated and as brave a group that I have ever been around. God Bless them all, and if you have family/friends over there God Bless them too. I have seen a lot in both Afganistan and Iraq. Perhaps, if any of you are interested, I will post some of my experiences and observations in the chatter box or off topic forum. For now, I have to catch up on the pinned topics. Thanks to those of you who share the knowledge.

Hi ya Old Jumper, good to see you back and hello to any fellow Bagdadians tuning in. Hmmn? is "bubbles" a new four legged friend? If not my apologies, but if so that's great. Do tell.

It all sounds very exotic you know, native plants and fish from the Tigress River, can't wait to see the pics. I'm always interested to hear stories of other cultures and lands, look forward to hearing more from you soon.

ps. don't you just hate jetlag?

Guest PearlscaleFan

:blink: Im slightly confluzzeledabout what is going on here, are you a troop in baghdad, or are you from Iraq and setting up a pond in north Carolina? :blink:

Wow, my greta grandad is from Afghanistan, it gets very cold in winter, I have a very wide spread family, my mom is from tanzania.

I believe he went to Baghdad where he built a pond with some fellow troops and returned to Carolina where he lives. Hence the:

It is so good to be home and see my country, trees, green grass and the red clay of the Carolinas.

Welcome back, I hope you had a good experience!

Wow, Jumper, what a fascinating idea with the pond in the middle of Bagdhad! Please, by all means, lets see some pics!

I am glad you are back all in one piece, and your fish made it up and running with the neighbor's help. If nobody minds, I like to hear from other cultures as well, so feel free to tell us all about it in the chatterbox! :thumbup

WOW! You set up a pond in Bagdad, how cool is that? Hopefully the locals catch on to this great hobby as well (they can get some great koi from Israel ;) I have a Beni Kikokuryu butterfly from there ). Democracy is AWESOME.

Thanks for sharing, please pos tall pictures when you get them. I am sure we all would love to see them.

(hey I was in during the Gulf War)

Scott

:D Welcome Home Old Jumper! GHood to see ya! Your experience sounds awesome! I'm with everyone else! I would love to see "The Good Ole' Boys" doing a pond up in Bagdad! Post Away!!! :exactly

Jumper it is good to hear from you. I must say I got the biggest kick out of hearing the boys over there have been introduced to Koko's. :lol:

That pond sounds wonderful, can't wait to see if we get pics. I am sure you have had some trip. And as Andrea said would love to hear about them.

So glad you are home, hope that another 4 legged companion has made his/her way into your heart. I know you must miss your old friend.

Will be awaiting your postings on your encounters............and May God bless you.............WELCOME HOME!!!!

Welcome home!! Its great to hear your story. I couldnt imagine being stationed for so long in a foreign country. It sounds like your pond project was a great diversion and a reminder of "regular" life. I really hope we get to see some pics. Im especially interested to see what you can pull out of the Tigris river!

I grew up in a Navy family so I can kind of understand. The military is really a culture all its own. Now that Im an adult and no longer in that kind of lifestyle, I really miss it. I love going back to military bases. I feel very safe and "at home" on them.

Anyway, great to have you back. :)

Archived