Cloudy Water

Guest ThugLife

Guest ThugLife

my water is white cloudy, what do i do?

tank has been set up more than 6 months

i have two bubble wands that produce fine bubbles but they dont cause the cloudyness.

the water had been pretty clear but since i have been adding water conditioner i have this problem

i have a 30gallon with 4 Comet GoldFish

ph is low i cant get it to go higher than 6.2

and tha other like ammonia r fine tha local petshop said.

i do regular gravel cleans every 2 weeks changing 20% of tha water

i have another tank that is 20gallon with 4 Comets

and tha tank is fine no cloudy water

One more question, how often do i have to change the carbon and tha other thang in the filter? i have just been rinsing them out every gravel clean which is two weeks

and i have changed the carbon only once

How bout your post readings for your tank and tap water.

Also, a KH test would be a good thing to have since it sounds like your water isn't well buffered.

Just rinse your filters in old tank water when you do a partial water change. Carbon may last a month. It's not essential to have in the tank all the time.

I agree with CaptK. Add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. predissolve in tank water and then add to a high water flow area. Give it a while to disperse and check pH again. If pH doesn't move up, repeat. The goal is to move pH up by no more than .4 per day.

Guest ThugLife

PH straight from tha tap is 7.0/neutral

and i dont have a KH tester

i jus visted tha LPS and they said that my ammonia and nitrates r a lil high

ThugLife,

If you can't run a KH test then just add 1/2 tsp of BS and test the pH after one hour. Follow DG's advice, do it until your pH is in the mid 7's.

Howhigh is a little high in ammonia and nitrAte? If your filter is up to the task, your ammonia should be zero. Mind you, are borderline in your fish load. That could be why you are getting ammonia. What type of filter do you have? More partial water change will keep nitrAte under control.

You should aim to change your carbon once a month. The carbon will get gunked up with the wastes. Rinsing will not remove the really fine particles.

Guest ThugLife

thanks fo tha help

but now mah other tank is sick, tha comets had fungus so i added tha anti funus treatment med and two had died but i was able to save two fishes so i put them into my 20 gallon rite now

i have to restart the whole tank now and need advice on how to do it properly

Can you find your city's annual quality report online? If so, please post a link to it. We really need to know your water test readings cuz I suspect from your pH that your water isn't well buffered.

If the tank has had sich fisk in it, I'd go ahead and nuke the tank.

Use one teaspoon of plain unscented chlorine bleach per gallon of water. Allow the bleach/water solution to run through the filter for about an hour. Drain all the water and refill with fresh tap water, dose with a cheap sodium thiosulfate dechlorinator -- such as AP's Tap Water Conditioner -- at about 10 times the directed amount. Allow the super-dechlorinated water to run through the filter for another hour. Drain, refill and dechlorinate/dechloraminate as you would normally.

Then, I'd do a fishless cycle using ammonia with no additives to feed the biofilter bacteria and get them up to speed. You can use baking soda to bring pH up to around 8 if you do a fishless cycle. How big's the tank?

To cycle a tank and tell what's going on, you gotta have test kits for ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte.

There is some good reading on it linked from here..

Archived