Sick Fish Or Bad Water

Guest Sacreligioushippie

Guest Sacreligioushippie

I have 2 fantail goldfish, each a little under 1 1/2" long including their tails. They are in a 10 gal tank together, (I know its small, but I'll be getting another one soon). I have a whisper power filter for a 5-15 galon tank. I'm using Ammo-Carb (Carb-Ammo?) for my filtration media becaue I've been having a problem with my ammonia levels. The tank was set up about 9 days ago. About an hour ago my ammonia level was 1.0 and my nitrites are 0. My tap water reads 0 on both ammonia & nitrites. I have 1 six in airstone & they eat tetra goldfish flakes (soaked in tank water) and freeze dried bloodworms (they don't care for the worms though).

Here's my problem. Neptune, my orange fantail, has been floating in the stream of bubbles from the airstone since yesterday. Occasionally he'll leave the stream but then he comes right back to it (right in the middle of the water level). He's also been eating the bubbles. I fed them last night but he didn't seem all that interested, but he ate a little. Both Poseidon and Neptune have been constipated so I've been trying to feed them less and only once a day. Both have also been yawning but Poseidon, the calico, is more active right now. Their gills are a "healthy" red, not pink, brown or inflamed. I've been doing 10% water changes (same temp. left out for 24 hours) every day for the last 6 days or so. The water's also really cloudy, but I thought that was from the cycling.

Any ideas? I thought it might be flukes but I'm not sure.

Thanks

~Jessica

You are not doing enough of a water change to lower those Ammonia levels.High Ammonia will increase respiratory rate/have fish gasping/slime coat can thicken/nervousness/swimming erratically/shaking twitching,etc.These can all be signs of problems with your levels of ammonia.When cycling a tank you should feed a very minimal amount as not to produce any more waste than they have too.I would probably do a water change of 50& to try & get that level down.

Guest impellitteri88

yeah..u gotta be careful with the ammonia and nitrite levels when cycling a tank.cloudy water is fine in a new tank as the bacteria are trying to settle down..first month is usually critical if not taken care of.do more water changes to keep ammonia down,feed less say one flake per fish.again..regular water changes,less feedings are the key to healthy fishes.just a thought or two.cheers

Guest Sacreligioushippie

Thank you both for your help. I was hoping it was just the ammonia level but I wasn't sure. Neptune's better, swimming around more. The ammonia is still high but I haven't changed it yet.

This topic can be moved to th general discussion now.

Thanks again.

~Jessica

Archived