Salting The Water

Guest moustics

Guest moustics

I have had ICH troubles and have been using salt to cure it....I had to change the water to the tune of 9 gals in a 20 gal tank b/c the Nitrites and Nitrates were up too high... I have added 1 1/4 Tsps. per gal to the new water.. Is this correct ? I have been treating for ICH.

When I came home today the fish were all red streaked on their tail fins :crp ...My poor recovering Orandas.... I tested the water and then did the water change... I am assuming this will correct the problem and that I have not over salted the water.

The Nitrates and Nitrites were way too high...They are fine now with the new water..

PAUL , did I do this right ? :(

THanks

Mouse

Hi Mouse, I hope Paul won't mind me jumping in. ;)

To treat ich you need about 0.3% salt concentration. That is 3tsp/gal. 1 1/4Tsp is close enough to be fine. :)

The salt will actually protect the fish from nitrIte poisoning but it really depends on how high is high. Some real numbers will be good. Have you tested for pH and ammonia? They are more likely to irritate the fish and stress them out than high nitrAte (although it can do it too but it will take longer exposure).

Mouse sorry to hear you are still having problems.

Captk gave some good advice, I just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you and your fish. I do hope things get better soon.

Guest moustics

I thank anyone and everyone who can help...

Nitrate 20

Nitrite 0.5

PH..8.0

They are better tonight after the water change...and re-salting..

I have some Pro Gold coming this week to feed them...We tried to put them back on store bought food after the Metro Med and Metigold, but they would have none of it....I guess the quality is poor in comparison..so ordered the Pro Gold from Goldfish connection.. My husband says they are now too spoiled to eat the equivilant of Mc Donald's... I say, "Yup, just like everything else around here, SPOILED."

Thanks 4 the help...My poor Yacky she is so delicate, everything upsets her... She still has a bit of the ICH ...still waiting on that to go away..We have been at this for 2 months....but do not want to use the chemical stuff... again...I am afraid Yacky can't take it....

THAnks

Mouse

Hi Mouse - I hope all goes well with your poor fish.

Just on the ich - are you vacuuming your gravel? You see, the salt will knock them off the fish then vaccing will help rid you of the trophonts that fall off. Once they hit the bottom of your tank, the rotters then divide into hundreds and hundres of tiny swarmers - tomites that then make it their life's work to actively seek out a host to re-encyst. Vaccing the bottom of your tank helps enormously since the parasites get down into the gravel.

Hope this helps some and good luck :D

Guest moustics

Yes, I am vacuuming the tank... Maybe I should do it more...The Nitrites and Nitrates were up again to day .. I put some Prime in..The were not dangerously high just on the High side of Safe..Yacky doesn't toleralte that well with her delicate SBD...She is not having problems, but she is not very active....

Thanks again for the help

Mouse

Guest moustics

HI Laurie

Yes, I think it is ICH..The one fish is just more delicate than the other... Yacky now has septimcemia and I am not sure what to do here... she hangs out on the bottom most of the day, unless it is time to eat...

I have just checked the water and it is all FINE...... Nitrites are 20 which shows safe, but if they go up again, I will treat the tank.... Also will vac it again...

Do U think I need to treat the septecemia? Yacky's tail is blood red in one place ...

Any help is appreciated

Mouse

I can't remember what type of fish is Yacky, sorry.

Is your nitrites 20 or nitrates??? Nitrites at 20 is too high you should do water changes to get them down.

As for the septicimia, that is so deadly. I would definitly start with a medicated food, preferably Metromed from Goldfish Connection and if you can seek a vets treatment. I am sure you have read up on this disease and know that usually without injectable antibotics they don't make it. Doc Johnson the Koivet treats with Baytril injections, and if you have a vet that can get you the meds or do it would be a benefit.

Otherwise you have to go with the medicated food and maybe something like Maracy 2 and hope for the best.

Keeping the water params perfect will help, but time will tell if it is septicimia.

Archived