Heater Vs. Filter

Guest Sacreligioushippie

Guest Sacreligioushippie

I want to put a heater in my tank, it's a 10 gal. I live in New England so the weather is never consistent. (I bought my fish last week when it was 80. Today it's 50). Anyway, I bought a Top Fin 50 watt heater. My problem is that I have to maintain a really high water level, about 1/4" from the top of the tank (according to the instructions). However, my filter is supposed to be about an inch from the top. I'm afraid if I fill the tank too much my filter won't work right or my little Neptune will decide to challenge the current and hop in the filter. :(

Does anyone know of any heaters that don't require such a high water level or one that doesn't require a water level at all? Submersible heater make me really nervous.

Thanks,

~Jessica

It's all about submersible heater's .They rock! Truthfully,it's more unsafe to use one of those old fashioned kind that you're talking about because if water level isn't kept darn close to where they're telling you,it could explode inside your tank. :I know the submersibles are alot more money,but they are so worth it.Think about every week that you're doing your water changes. You'll have to unplug heater wait 15 minutes change water,and then replug your heater. Submersible filter's are pretty standard these days and safe as long as you stick to brand names with controls for temps on them.Other than that,the only thing I can tell you is to try another filter.What do you have ,a whisper?

Guest Sacreligioushippie

Ya, I have a Whisper 5-15. Came with the start-up goldfish tank kit I bought. Yet another lesson I've learned. With all the extras I've had to buy, it was probably cheaper starting from scratch than using a kit.

~Jessica

Guest VxShady

Yes! Submersible heaters! :exactly I had to learn the hard way. I had two heaters blow up on me. Didn't even know fully submersible heaters existed until I went to replace the second one and saw it. I was like "HEY!" <_< Plus you can stick them anywhere you want so you have a better chance of hiding it.

I also bought a kit for my 10 gallon hospital tank. And you're right! I had to replace everything they gave me except the actual tank. Rip off.

Guest Sacreligioushippie

Thank you for your help. I bought one that mounts to the inside of the tank. It didn't say it was submersible, so I'm assuming it's not. It's a Neptune Heater. Any comments? Should I just give in and get the submersible? And call me stupid but on the submersibles, the cord's in the water too right? I guess I just don't know enough about these heaters.

~Jessica

I've never even seen non-submersible heaters! I have a small heater for my tropical tank (only use it for a few weeks in winter) and the whole thing just plonks in the tank, the cord runs through the tank and out the top.

I would say what you have bought is a fully submersible heater, but i've actually never heard them referred to as a "submersible" heater because i've never seen anything but these, so i doubt it would actually say it is on the package.

Guest VxShady

If it doesn't say fully submersible on it then its not a fully submersible heater. Yes you can submerse the cord as well on a fully submersible heater. They're fanfriggintastic!

Archived