Sign in to follow this  
puggirl

Really Confussed About Filtration

i'm really lost about filters now i'm getting a big tank of 100 to 120 gallons, now what is the difference in lph and gph, i have 3800 lph, so how much gph do i need??? and if i get 120 gallon i will get another 1300 lph filter. so how does this sound.

Edited by puggirl

3800 lph puts you at 1004 gph. That would just be enough for a

100 US gallon tank. 5100 lph would be fine for a 120 US gallon

tank. With filtration you want 10x the amount of water--10

gallon tank, 100 gph etc. Add a zero onto the tank size and that

will give you the gph needed. (all based on US gallons)

Here's the conversion page if you want to crunch numbers. :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/converter.html

ok great thanks heaps pm94 you rock

Guest PenelopeFish

I am also wondering about this filtration idea, but I don't quite understand what you are saying. Do you seriously want a filter that processes 100 gallons per hour for a 10 gallon tank? That sounds rediculous. I have been buying filters that say they are adequate for filtering the amount of water in my tank. I have a 25 gallon tank and I bought a filter that is for 10 to 30 gallon tanks. It filters 150 gallons per hour. But according to your calculations I should have a filter that processes 250 gallons per hour. I trusted what the box said, and I trust my pet store, so why is this information incorrect?

PenelopeFish

Hi PenelopeFish,

The 10x rule is a rule of thumb. It is designed to be generous so that it will work under almost any cndition. Of course, if you have a very small fish load in a big tank, it is rather silly to have such high turn over but then again, if you max out the stocking level for a decent sized tank then you are talking about a lot of waste from a lot of goldies (aka poop factory). Then you will be thankful that you have dimensioned the filter generously. ;)

Guest PenelopeFish

Ok, I completely agree, but doesn't that strong flow from the filter affect the fish as they swim? Maybe I'm just causing trouble, but do you know the answer?

PenelopeFish

Hiya! hopefully this will help:

The recommendations on the packaging for 99.9% of the filters beng sold are not geared towards aquarists with large fish or high stocking densities. The average consumer only keeps a few small tropicals in whatever tanks they get so they don't exactly need the best filtration systems. A very small percentage of the contigent of aquarist actually keep large fish (goldfish, oscars, discus, pacus) or have their tanks maxed at capacity. These people quicky find that keeping ammona at 0ppm and nitrItes at 0ppm is next to impossible with the recommendations given out by pet shops and manufacturers. After years of experimantation, trial and error, the 10X's rule of thumb has emerged.

Keep in mind that this 10X's rule of thumb is ONLY for standard, storebought filtration units like HOB filters, internal filters and the like. This is because the TRUE measure of a properly functioning filter is the amount of bio-load in relation to the amount of beneficial bacteria that comes into contact with the bio-load. Nothing more.

Lets say you had one of the newer wet/dry filters that stay under the tank and is ran with a couple pumps and a skimmerbox (most all saltwater tanks utilize this). Now lets say that you had this unit, regularly used for 100gallon plus tanks, on a measly 20 gallon. There would be waaaaay more beneficial bacteria than normally found in a twenty gallon tank/filter so the gph would only need to be like 25-75gph. Even though the circulation is slower, there is TONS of good bugs taking care if the ammonia as fast as it passes through the filter. In the storebought filters, there is very little space for beneficial bacteria to grow so you need the 10X's rule of thumb.

So, as you can see, this rule of thumb has come to fruition because of necessity. Look on the back of any serious aquarist's tank and you will see more than one filter. This is not a fluke of chance. How does the saying go? "necessity is the mother of all invention"???

On the point of the advice given out by pet shops:

ALL pet shops are there for one reason and one reason only. Money. This is a constant. so, it is the employees job to sell items. In sales, you do not try to sell the most expensive stuff to a newcomer. Trying to do that just scares the customer away in hopes of their wallets remaining intact. So, the employee has to find a "safe zone" (still money driven) to offer the customer. This is very often going by the manufacturers suggestions so as to avoid confusion. Again, the manufacturer has done huge amounts of R+D to come up with a product that pleases the largest contigent of consumers (the newbie with practically no experience and no large fish).

Now, the last paragraph is ASSUMING that the store employee knows half of what they should know. Sadly, even that is rare. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard VERY wrong information being blurted out to a wide eyed and very susceptable newcomer/customer. And to boot, by someone who, six months ago, was working at burger king and had no pets.

Don't get me wrong, there are very knowledgable and caring pet shop employees out there. They do exist. You just have to be able to figure out who they are. And always remember, cross check ANY information ever given to you by anyone other than the experts (Us).

And too answer your question about the currentw being too strong. If you think prhaps there is too much current, do not foresake the water quality simply to reduce the currents. Instead, try utilizing caves, plants and ornaments in a fashion that provides hidey holes and "sweet spot" for them to rest in/at.

Good luck and I hope this helps clear up some confusion........ B)

Paul

Did that make any sense? :huh:

PenelopeFish, keep in mind that the box is going on the bases an inch of tetra, gourami, betta, mollie per gallon of water. and as we all know... and inch of tetra ISNT the same as an inch of goldie :) he he!

what i plan on doing for my next tank is 2 small filters. atleast. plus that gives me the benefit of if one goes out, i still have some filtration.

Guest PenelopeFish

Thank you guys so much. All this information is very helpful...very very helpful. I've been having some tough times with my tank, and now I understand why. Now I have the information to make some better choices when I get my bigger tank. Thanks.

PenelopeFish :heart

thats a cool convertor page. I never knew kgf had that.

Wow - Toothy you rock! I also wanted to point out something that you brought to my attention- very few filters actually filter the gph listed - as soon as they have any waste in them, they slow in flow. So one listed at 200 gph may only be doing 150 at best......

:)

Carol,

Actually, the only thing that keeps a filter from pushing what it was designed to do is the intake screen clogging or the uptube and impeller assembly getting built up with goo. The gph stays the same even when the water is flowing over the cartridges or through a by-pass channel. Unless of couse, the water level difference between unimpeded and clogged is more than an inch. Then the backpressure from the added weight of water in the filterbox would certainly slow the flow a bit. Probably on the scale you hypothesised. By then, hopefully, someone noticed the clog and spiffed up a bit........ ;)

Toothy, you amaze me! :) Recently I've been thinking about this sort of thing-- whether I have enough filtration happening. Thanks for the information-- it also really helped me out!

I just wanted to say this is a great thread!! thanks guys.

yes thanks to everyone that replyed to the post, i think i will buy another aqua one cf1200 that way i will have 2 aqau ones cf1200 and two hang on whisper 60s, so i think then i should be alright, and i have two very dirt big piggies that make much more mess then five fancies in one tank. and all up i will have the 8 fancys in the 100gallon, maybe 120 gallon, do you think this would be fine for a 120 gallon??

Edited by puggirl