How Do I Know If My Goldfish Are In Fact Breeding?

froggydella

I have a couple of questions, one how do I know if my goldfish are breeding? I just got them about a month ago and it kinda seems like something is going on in there???

Also I was wondering if I should leave the light on at all times or turn it off at night? Any help would much appreicated.

Della

Hi Della,

What exactly are they doing? Are they chasing each other around? Breeding behavior can be quite relentless and tire out the fish.

About the light--turn it off at night, on again in the morning, just like the cycle of the sun. :)

Guest Dawn Hunley

:welcome Welcome to KoKo's! Glad to have you apart of the group!

If you goldfish look like they are chasing each other around, nudging or pushing at eachother's bottom this could be the first stages of spawning. This helps the Female Goldfish to stimulate her bottom for the eggs. Koko's has a great article if your are interested in beggining the stages of breeding. This might help! if not...you can always go on the breeding message board and talk to some of those members. They even have a great video that is in there that shows two goldfish spawning. So you can compare the behavior of your fish to those in the video!

Hey thanks everyone!!!

and yes they are chasing round the tank...heres the thing I don't want them to breed!!! :( I don't know what to do?...

I have one calico and one black one the kind with the cute big eyes..I actually bought them for my son he just loves them but of course mom takes care of them :D

Also I am having some problems leaving messages on here I am gettting kinda confused bout how to do it?..it took me forever tonight to find that someone had actually replied to my post last night??? could someone help me with that?

Thanks a lot for the reply...I will turn the light off at night from now on :D Anymore help bout the breedig would be great!! I read a few things on here last night on what to look for on if they are breeding and sure enough I think thats what those two are doing....and I thought it was 2 boys :rofl

Thanks,

Della

Guest Dawn Hunley

Ok...If you don't want to breed, here are some suggestions that I can give you! They have tank dividers in the pets store that you can buy to seperate the fish that are spawning or you can get another tank. I know you probably don't want to spend the money. ( I know what you mean) But it will probably save you money down the road if you had a bunch of little fry swimming aroung the tank! Ya know what I mean! Good luck with that and keep us posted on what you decide to do!

As for the posting questions....what are you having trouble with exactly? If you go to the top of the board to "my controls" you can monitor your posts and replies, also if you have access to your email all day long, you can have it to where when someone replies, it will notify you in your email box. I have access to email all day long here at work and I can alway tell if someone has replied to a question or comment that I had posted earlier. Hope this has helped! :lol:

Good luck! :goodluck

:rockon Thanks a ton!!! really helped me out a lot...I stay at home with my 2 year old so I am always on here looking around at stuff:)

I think I may see what happens with my fish I may end up getting another tank or the divider.

I finally figured out how to post and what not on here......I found the control panel thing and I also went into my profile and updated a bit, with my email and aol im screen name. So I hope that will help me out a little :)

Thanks again for your help. I am planning on starting another tank later but I am just trying to get used to this one first.

I will keep everyone posted on what happens in my tank....I am sure if I see eggs anytime soon I will have to ask a million more questions on what to do :krazy:

So thanks again....have a wonderful day....I will be watching my fish :)

Della

Guest Dawn Hunley

Very Good! Glad to be of assistance. If you do see any eggs in the tank, You might want to try to post a new thread in the goldfish breeding section. There are alot of great people that have been through that experiance and can offer you some hands on advice and suggestions on what you can do with the eggs. Possibly, you could maybe tranfer them to a petstore. I'm not sure if that would work or not but if it could, I know that a pet store would probably love to get new Goldies in! I'll keep an eye out on your thread and we can learn together! :goodluck

Archived