What Is This Cord For?

grain

If you are like me, you have many things plugged into surge protector strips under your tank. My cords sometimes get tangled, or I just can't track which cord goes to which appliance. Instead of unplugging each one and watching what goes off, an easy way to keep things identified under there is by color coding. You can recycle those old twist ties from bread bags, etc... just twist a different colored tie on the plug end of each appliance, and you can either just write down what color goes to what appliance on a piece of paper and keep that handy, or you can tie a tie of the same color somewhere vivible (but not unsightly) on that appliance.

the same idea can be used with nail polish, or yarn, etc...

This post has been promoted to an article

:) That is a good idea. I've done this myself on my 75 gal,because of the massive amount of plugs involved.I have two other tanks that sit below the 75gal.,and I have a thirty gal that sits next to this tank stand,I had alot of plugs to figure out! :krazy: I took those little colored Pipe Cleaner's that you get from the Craft store,and just wrapped them around the top of the cord & the bottom because my eyes couldn't see the color codings I did with marker's under the stand.These Pipe Cleaner's make it so much more obvious to see,and where I have them attached,the Public don't notice! ;)

I do the same thing with electrical tape!

320378[/snapback]

hahaha....Maybe we can all share a Tip of the Month! :yeah: This is actually a very good idea for those that do have multiple tanks.I use to be the one that waited & watched what went off/on. I like the Pipe Cleaner's because they cling pretty good,and I can see the color's under the stand better than I could with Polish/Marker's etc. Smack the tape is also a good one.I tried that but the stickiness it left,use to drive me :krazy::lol:

I have a little label maker and I printed out a label for each piece of equipment. Each is stuck next to the socket that that particular piece of equipment plugs into. That way, when I pull one out, I know where to put it back in, too. :)

I have a little label maker and I printed out a label for each piece of equipment. Each is stuck next to the socket that that particular piece of equipment plugs into. That way, when I pull one out, I know where to put it back in, too.  :)

320401[/snapback]

:lol: Carol,you have to be the most properly neat & most organized person I've ever known!I have to admit that my life has never been that way & it's taking a toll as we speak! Grain ,I think your idea has reached the max on this one! ;)

I have a little label maker and I printed out a label for each piece of equipment. Each is stuck next to the socket that that particular piece of equipment plugs into. That way, when I pull one out, I know where to put it back in, too.  :)

320401[/snapback]

wow, Daryl, you make me sick! I dont know how anyone can possibly be that organized!!! :rofl

• 1 month later...
Guest Esareh

thats a good idea, except now i gotta unplug everything to see what goes on so i can see what plug goes to what so i can mark it! lol

320401[/snapback]

wow, Daryl, you make me sick! I dont know how anyone can possibly be that organized!!! :rofl

321155[/snapback]

:unsure: Seems that daryl isn't alone lol

• 4 weeks later...

I'm one of the people those people who haven't labled anything yet! Me: I want to turn off the bubbles. Nope..thats the light. Filter..filter on the tropical tank.....well only one left, its gotta be the bubble bar! :D I'm going to try the nail polish idea..I've got tons of that!

Archived