Please Recommend A Fish For Office

Guest euro

Hi all,

I am looking for a fish for my office. With the following criteria, what kind of fish is available?

1. I will buy a fish tank between 2-5Gal as my office is not that big.

2. I do not want to use a heater and air pump.

3. Low maintenance. It is not very convenience to change water very often.

4. I want to have as many fishs (same or different kind) as possible.

I can put some water plant into my water tank if needed. After consulting vvvv people, their only suggestion is betta. But I was advised to have only one betta per tank because they are agressive. Do I have any other options?

Thanks!

Euro

Well, if its a 5 gallon, I would go with a betta. Any other fish, I would go with a 10 gallon. if you could get a ten gallon, a single goldfish, or maybe a few tropicals. Its about 1 inch (full grown) per gallon for tropicals, and with goldies, its 10 gallons at least per goldie. Also, without a filter, you would have to do alot of water changes to keep the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates down. i really recommend a 10 G. Its much easier to cycle. ive had bad luck trying to cycle anything smaller then that.

Guest VxShady

There's really not many fish that meet that criteria. Not any actually. Even a betta needs more care then that. BigRed is right. You may need to go to a 10 gallon.

for such a small tank, a betta would be your best bet..and yes, only one of them can go into a tank. but you will have to change some of the water every so often, even with a filter.

10 Gal is really too big for my office. Maybe betta is my only choice. Does live plant help? I heard live plant will help reduce ammonia so I don't have to change water so often. Betta won't eat the plant, is that right?

a plant will be good for a betta, they like to hide in them as well.

-some stores sell small tanks that come with a filter, that would help you out a lot. I have a 5 gallon tank with a betta and a filter, and I only have to do partial water changes once a month. :)

here is a link to the tanks that I keep my bettas in, they come in 2.5gallon, and 5 gallon sizes. They are very pretty, and come with everything (except decorations) that you need to get started, and they are relatively inexpensive. (I got mine for $35)

http://all-glass.com/products/aquariums/minibow5.shtml

I used to have the 2.5 mini bow. I bought it for $25, and it came with a filter. If you go with the 5 gallon, im pretty sure you can buy small heaters for them, but not everyone puts a heater in with their bettas. Its just nice to keep the temp stable. What kind of live plants are you thinking of getting? The betta wont eat them, they'll be more of a space to hide/lay on. The betta pellets are fine, along with freeze dried blood worms. Also, live plants will help keep the nitrates down once your tank is cycled. ive planted my 55 gallon, and it helps alot.

Its too bad you couldnt fit a 10 Gallon in there. There's some really nice tropicals you could put in there.

Good Luck with the new fish.

I have a betta at my office and he is great company. Bettas are great in the low maintenance/small tank area.... but I do change his water twice a week. I do one partial and one 100% change where I rinse his tank in hot water for a few minutes. The thing to remember is when changing that little bit of water, it takes very little time and energy. The biggest problem I had was where to age the water for his changes. Once that was solved it was easy.

My boss and I love our baby. He's so happy here that we come into a new bubble nest a couple times a week. :D

in a 5 (with a filter) you could do some tetras (neon, black neon or glowlight) or a platy

with a filter for a 3+ you could do a dwarf gourami, or a pair or male guppies, or a cory catfish, or a pair of male endlers livebearers

without a filter, really a betta is best. if you keep the water clean you could prolly do an african dwarf frog or two.

here are some small tanks, most of which have filters or atleast bubbles, which you wouldnt NEED for a betta, but you would for anything else

http://www.mmm.com/Productlisting.asp?ta...op&Dept_ID=1008

Hi all,

I am looking for a fish for my office. With the following criteria, what kind of fish is available?

1. I will buy a fish tank between 2-5Gal as my office is not that big.

2. I do not want to use a heater and air pump.

3. Low maintenance. It is not very convenience to change water very often.

4. I want to have as many fishs (same or different kind) as possible.

I can put some water plant into my water tank if needed. After consulting vvvv people, their only suggestion is betta. But I was advised to have only one betta per tank because they are agressive. Do I have any other options?

Thanks!

Euro

320154[/snapback]

Hi -Welcome to the Board. Well,you definately have specific things in mind,but unfortunately ,I really can't think of one fish that meets your requirements. The closest I could come would be a Betta,and it would be only one fish.And if you don't want to use a heater/filter,thier water needs to be changed once or twice a week,or you'll eventually have issues to deal with. Although Betta's may be considered "Low Maintainence",they still require some attention & care.

You might want to consider something other than a fish. I know of people that keep cherry shrimp at their offices and absolutely love them! They are very interesting to watch and hae their own beauty. Perhaps you could even keep a snail or two, some species can be really beautiful. Of course if you are set on getting a fish a betta is your best bet, I believe that most neons and tetras get about an inch big and so you might be able to pull of a small school of them, however I would go with the bettas in the fish department of things. Whish you luck, and welcome to the board.

I agree with DEvs. While a betta would be the only fish able to survive in that enviornment, he wouldn't last long with the type of "low maintance" you are wanting to put in.

Sorry, I would look into those "non living" aquariums if that is the only amount of space you have or time you can spend on it.

Guest IluvMyBuddy

i would suggest a low maintanence fish. a goldfish would be too much work...

guppies is a good choice! they're small enough for your tank and not much maintanene! but be sure and check with the petstore employees about how to take care of them~

Archived