Fancygold Fish Is Sick

Guest nannies goldies

Guest nannies goldies

Please help!! I had a large oranda that another fish start to peck :ill at his wen I removed the Hanable fish. I treated the other injured fish with melafix, he has since died. Then one of the smaller fish went to the bottom i removed him and tried treatment he also died after about 7 days. In my large tank I did and have done 75% water change cleaned everything in the tank, everyone else was doing well then I guess it has benn about 2weeks and yet here we go again. Ralphie my other fancygold fish that his fins look bad he seems to be gasping for air at the bottom, he will still eat. He was in a 55 gal tank with 3 others. i started treatment with melafix yesterday. I noticed tonite that the little pearl started pecking on him. I removed him, the large one to a 10 gal tank by himself. I again treated w/melafix and I will start with the medicated food in the AM. All of my water test good, I do use a freaswater master test kit. should I continue treatment in the 55 gal just to be safe. Help I have no idea what is going on!!!!!!

nannies goldies/Penny

Hi Penny,

Welcome to koko's! :)

I'm sorry that your fish are in trouble again. You will have to bear with me as your descriptions are a little hard to follow. To cut a long story short, are we talking about 1 sick fish called Ralphie that has been relocated to a 10gal tank? Everyone else is fine?

First of all, stop treating with Melafix. It is okay for some minor cuts and wounds but any serious infection is way out its league.

Can you post ammonia, nitrIte and pH readings please. I know you said that they are good but real numbers will give us a better idea.

Can you run a check of her gills for me. Do they look fresh meat red or pale pink/grey/brown? Are they in a nice fan shape, not slimey/tattered?

Are there any other symptoms? Any red fins, raised scales, excess slime, etc?

Feed medicated food is a good idea. Keep that going to 10-14 days. Add salt to 0.1% should have with he breathing. That is 1 tsp/gal. Aquarium/rock/sea/kosher/canning/pure/solar salt are good.

Please post back soon.

Guest nannies goldies

Yes, he is in the 10 gal as of last night. I spoke to a fish store owner today, she said to do a 75% water change to get rid of the melafix. Then add copper safe along with my salt..done it. I also noticed that ralph no has 2 red spots w/white center on his other side of his head. I have no idea what is going on.. do I need to treat my 55 gal tank as well?? What am I treating? My ph 7.2, ammonia .25, nitrite is0. now what? Please help us I just cant stand the thought of anyone else dying.

penny

Guest nannies goldies

:ill

Yes, he is in the 10 gal as of last night. I spoke to a fish store owner today, she said to do a 75% water change to get rid of the melafix. Then add copper safe along with my salt..done it. I also noticed that ralph no has 2 red spots w/white center on his other side of his head. I have no idea what is going on.. do I need to treat my 55 gal tank as well?? What am I treating? My ph 7.2, ammonia .25, nitrite is0. now what? Please help us I just cant stand the thought of anyone else dying.

penny

320600[/snapback]

I'm sorry, Penny, seemed to missed your reply. :(

The white spot ringed with red could be the start of ulcers. Bacterial in nature.

Did you start the medicated food?

Coppersafe is used to treat parasites. Is the petshop owner suspecting parasites? Did she name the parasite?

Guest nannies goldies

Thank you for writing back! Yes I did start the med. food, the lady thought maybe ancor worms. He looks bad today, although the red spots don't look as red, his eyes seem to be kind of white around them & putruding or I think they are I just know he's sad & me too. He will still come to the top to eat, he still come to the front to see me he just looks at me like please help me. I have no idea on what to do! I'm really sad . Then sould I do any type of treatment on my 55 gal?? If so with what!! :ill

Thank you again, I just thought I would have more help, I feel like I'm about to loose my mind!!!! :blink: I am new at this so I am alittle overwelmed & don't know what to do or where to turn, so it gives me comfort to know someone will help try to save ralph.

Stay calm, Penny. I missed the email notification, that'a all. I'll be around to help. Don't worry. :)

Now, as far as I can acertain from your descriptions, it is a bacterial infection. It might have started with parasites, I'm not sure. I don't know if it is anchor worm either. You should be able to see anchor worms. They are like a small worm with half their bodies buried under a scale and the rest sticking out.

Your description of the eyes sounds like the start of popeyes. It is a sign that the bacterial infection is going systemic. It is not a good sign. Same with the red spot at the tail. What type of medicated food are you using?

Can you run a check of her gills for me. Do they look fresh meat red or pale pink/grey/brown? Are they in a nice fan shape, not slimey/tattered?

Has she poop lately? What does it looks like? Normal color and texture or white, long and stringy?

Are you willing to handle it? If yes, can you gently feel her belly? Does it feel soft and mushy or firm?

Any scales lifted? Bloating in the belly?

What is the temperature of the tank? Has it been salted at all? Can you warm the tank?

Guest nannies goldies

Hi, just me again. The food is jungle anti-bacteria for internal & external infections. Yeasterday she seemed bloted,I noticed today her poop was thick & brown. I gave her a couple of peas that she did eat. Her gills look ok, they are not red or anything.I just held her and her belly fells I guess kinda soft it'not hard. I know it wasn't time to do a water change but it relly looked uck, so I did a partial change added my copper safe back in she really perked up. She was coming to the top to eat and swimming around, then she seems to get tired, her breathing is not as rapid & not gasping as much or as hard. I don't know if that is good or is it telling that the end is near. The red ulcers or what ever they were look much better. Also I did not fill the tank all the way up, this seems to help her get to the top with a little more ease. Anything you can think of that will help, or just keep doing what I'm doing! Just having some one to listen :listen: & ask & show some concern helps!!!

Thank You,

Penny

• 2 weeks later...

Archived