Anyone Use An Azoo Palm Filter?

mary

Hi, everyone - on the principle that filtered tanks are always better than unfiltered ones, I got one of those little palm filters from Drs Foster and Smith. It came today, and fits well on the tank, but the current seems a bit too strong for B. Bashir, which worries me. He'd been doing so well - a huge bubble nest over near his palms, in spite of the cool temp and lack of filter - and I know Pippin has been stressed when the current in our eclipse 6 got too much for him. I honestly don't think bettas like any current! Also, I'm not sure how well this little filter would start up after a power outage, as it 's one of those where you have to pour water into the chamber to get it going. So - does anyone have experience with these? I don't want to either stress out my fish or (God forbid) burn the house down just in the interest of keeping Benvolio Bashir's water clean!

If anyone does have experience with them, a couple of questions:

Will they start by themselves after a power outage?

And, how on earth do you adjust the current? This filter is made in China, and (apologies to Chinese people), like the stand I bought that was also made in China, it came with *no* instructions!

:) Sorry,I have no clue about that particular filter.What I can tell you is that there are ways to control filter current somewhat if there's not a for sure way to adjust the current rate on the filter. I place ornaments and live /silk plants in front of the out flow. It doesn't hinder it from coming out but it does give it some sort of breakup from coming at him full blast. I have a few bettas that dont mind the current,and then a few that hate it so I've learned to adapt them to their situations. my one Betta tank is 5gal. and has an Aquaclear Mini on it which has a pretty strong outflow on it.That particular betta isnt crazy about it,but he's dealing with it so much better. In one corner I have this cave like ornament that he can swim under. I also keep live Val,Cabomba,and Anacheris in there.The anacheris is planted right where the water falls out,& helps cut that fast flow alot. The Cabomba is planted on the sides.He tends to like that because its tall & willowy,and he can swim in it an anchor himself so to speak. One of my smaller 2.5 gal tanks has a Penn Plex Small world filter in it. I have a very pretty glass bud vase that the betta likes to sleep in to get out of any current. Plants placed in proper areas will also help that alot.Just look at what you have to work with,and run a few experiments in the placement of things,it may help just enough in case you don't have an adjustment on the filter. :)

Yes, there is, and I've been turning and turning it, but I can't figure out which way is supposed to lower the current. In the meantime, I quick stuck a plastic plant in front of the outflow. He's not as happy as he was with no current, but isn't having trouble getting around and doesn't seem particularly stressed right now. Thanks for the link to the azoo site; I think I might try to post my question there.

Archived