Salt In Water And Good Food

Guest lenny165

Guest lenny165

About salt in water, if you use softwater from your sink does that salt work as well for fish. I'm fairly new to this and also I use Tetrafin goldfish crisps says 35%less waste What do you pro's out there use.

Water softeners work by a process called ion-exchange. YOu tap water is passed through your softener which containstiny beads of ion-exchange resin. The resin attracts the hard ions in your water and exchanges them for soft ones.

To keep the water softener working you need to clean or recharge the resin beads to keep your water softener working. This involves adding salt tablets. These make a salt brine solution that, when passed through the resin, will automatically clean the resin.

The water softener will then thoroughly wash away the cleaning brine, but it will contain slightly more salt that regular tap water.

The formula for calculating the amount of sodium in your softened water is as follows: mg of Na / quart of softened water = grains of hardness X 7.5 mg Na / grain of hardness.

This amount is generally very small. You can still use salt with your softened water - but you will need less or none at all. The most reliable method to determine your salt content is to do it empirically - by using a test to actually read salt concentrations as opposed to mathematically calculating content.

I am not familiar with the Tetrafin Goldfish crisps but they sound yummy, don't they. I love anything that sound crispy!

There are many discussions on the varied diets of goldfish under the forum for foods - you will be suprised at how many things a goldfish likes to eat! I have ProGold as my fish's main diet, with many vegetables, fish products, algae, gel food and fresh greens as extras. :)

Which kind of goldfish do you have? Is it a common goldie or one of thems round-bellied fancy ones? I have a fancy & if I feed him anything but soaked (at least for 1 minute) sinking pellets, then he floats around helplessly as the food bloats in his stomach.

Based on advice that I got on here when he started bobbing around, I fasted him for a few days and then fed him shelled, thawed-out frozen green peas, which he LOVED and they cleaned him out so he didn't bob anymore.

Since then, I have ordered ProGold from goldfishconnection.com due to the rave reviews that I have seen on here and elsewhere, and my baby seems to love it - though he only ate it for a few days, and then he was on Metro-Med from goldfishconnection.com (long story) - he is still on Metro-Med, but if my fish's reaction to the Metro-med is any reflection on the quality of food from this company, I'd say GO FOR IT. My fish is very very bright and happy and bubbly since I've been feeding him the Metro-Med (though the antibiotics in the food are what kicked his terrible infection..). I would think that the non-medical ingredients in Metro-Med are about the same as what's in ProGold? so I would highly recommend ProGold, and the spirulina flakes that are offered on the company's website as well. Raves raves raves. :krazy::lol:

anyways, as I was saying. I have also fed him romaine lettuce, he goes nuts over it.. but his main staple is MetroMed until he finishes his cycle for the medication in it (14 days) and then the main staples for him will be ProGold, spirulina flakes and greens like green peas, green lettuce, etc..

bla bla bla! :exactly

Guest lenny165
Water softeners work by a process called ion-exchange. YOu tap water is passed through your softener which containstiny beads of ion-exchange resin. The resin attracts the hard ions in your water and exchanges them for soft ones.

To keep the water softener working you need to clean or recharge the resin beads to keep your water softener working. This involves adding salt tablets. These make a salt brine solution that, when passed through the resin, will automatically clean the resin.

The water softener will then thoroughly wash away the cleaning brine, but it will contain slightly more salt that regular tap water.

The formula for calculating the amount of  sodium in your softened water is as follows: mg of Na / quart of softened water = grains of hardness X 7.5 mg Na / grain of hardness.

This amount is generally very small. You can still use salt with your softened water - but you will need less or none at all. The most reliable method to determine your salt content is to do it empirically - by using a test to actually read salt concentrations as opposed to mathematically calculating content.

I am not familiar with the Tetrafin Goldfish crisps but they sound yummy, don't they. I love anything that sound crispy!

There are many discussions on the varied diets of goldfish under the forum for foods - you will be suprised at how many things a goldfish likes to eat! I have ProGold as my fish's main diet, with many vegetables, fish products, algae, gel food and fresh greens as extras.  :)

320046[/snapback]

Thanks, do you order your food or buy at pet store and what kind of vegetables and fish products. I know peas are the frozen better. Is one lettuce better than another? I'm just a learnin. :D

Guest lenny165
Which kind of goldfish do you have?  Is it a common goldie or one of thems round-bellied fancy ones?  I have a fancy & if I feed him anything but soaked (at least for 1 minute) sinking pellets, then he floats around helplessly as the food bloats in his stomach.

Based on advice that I got on here when he started bobbing around, I fasted him for a few days and then fed him shelled, thawed-out frozen green peas, which he LOVED and they cleaned him out so he didn't bob anymore. 

Since then, I have ordered ProGold from goldfishconnection.com due to the rave reviews that I have seen on here and elsewhere, and my baby seems to love it - though he only ate it for a few days, and then he was on Metro-Med from goldfishconnection.com (long story) - he is still on Metro-Med, but if my fish's reaction to the Metro-med is any reflection on the quality of food from this company, I'd say GO FOR IT.  My fish is very very bright and happy and bubbly since I've been feeding him the Metro-Med (though the antibiotics in the food are what kicked his terrible infection..).  I would think that the non-medical ingredients in Metro-Med are about the same as what's in ProGold?  so I would highly recommend ProGold, and the spirulina flakes that are offered on the company's website as well.  Raves raves raves.    :krazy:   :lol:

anyways, as I was saying.  I have also fed him romaine lettuce, he goes nuts over it.. but his main staple is MetroMed until he finishes his cycle for the medication in it (14 days) and then the main staples for him will be ProGold, spirulina flakes and greens like green peas, green lettuce, etc..

bla bla bla!  :exactly

320055[/snapback]

Thank you and yes there fancy round bellys, I'v been feeding them tetrafin gf crisps. They love them. About the peas like how many one a day and any green lettuce will do. ahhh the ?'s a beginner has. ;)

Guest lenny165

The formula for calculating the amount of  sodium in your softened water is as follows: mg of Na / quart of softened water = grains of hardness X 7.5 mg Na / grain of hardness.

There are many discussions on the varied diets of goldfish under the forum for foods - you will be suprised at how many things a goldfish likes to eat! I have ProGold as my fish's main diet, with many vegetables, fish products, algae, gel food and fresh greens as extras.  :)

320046[/snapback]

Wow you do know alot about fish, I am very impressed-thanks a bunch ;)

With peas, for me, it's a little hard to judge since I'm still new to goldies. I shell and squish up the peas a bit, so they're still in somewhat of a form but not too big to chew, and I drop a few in the tank. Whatever's not gone in a half hour is vacuumed up, since I feed my fish just before I clean the tank every day (my tank isn't fully cycled yet - long story - so I perform partial water changes daily). I will usually catch the fish with whole peas in their mouth for about an hour afterward, though they do seem to chew them up, spit em out and then eat the little pieces that fly out of their mouths..

As for lettuce, I tried floating a leaf of romaine on the surface of their tank water one day, since I broke my veggie clip the moment I opened its package <_< , and the fish followed it around constantly, nibbling nibbling, until I took the leaf out about an hour later.

My tank is in my office, and I'm only there a few hours a day (set time), though I visit them later in the day too. Soo.. I don't like to leave stuff lying around in there when I can't watch it.

ta da! :)

Archived