New Goldfish Owner

Guest evanrockwell

Guest evanrockwell

(Sorry to make this so long!)THIS IS A HUGE CONCERN OF MINE SO PLEASE READ.

I just recently bought 3 comet goldfish. I bought them without really knowing how to take proper care of them (thanks to this site, I'm learning a lot more!!!!).

Since I didnt know much about caring for these fish, I bought a starter tank which is only about a gallon. And right now I have 3 (small) fish in there. But I recently found a 10 gal tank I bought a while ago and now I want to transfer 1 or 2 of the fish into the larger tank. But I dont know which ones.

There is the 'baby fish' which is only about 1.5 inch long. Then theres a medium fish and a larger fish (none of them are more than 3 in. long). And it looks like the smallest fish is getting bullied by the largest fish and he is also not getting enough food.

So my question is, which fish do I transfer into the larger tank? The medium and large fish both look like they get enough food and get along pretty good. Im just worried about the small one. Would the smallest one be confortable in a 1 gal tank for a little longer?

(I DO plan on getting a much larger tank very soon though).

Any help would be appreciated.

thank you.

If I were you, I'd put all three in the 10 gallon.... 3.33 gallons is better than 1 gallon for whatever fish you'd keep in the 1 gallon.

You'll need a MUCH larger tank... for commons, you'll need at LEAST 45 gallons for all three of them, and a filtration system that turns the water at LEAST 10 times per hour.... so a 55 gallon tank would need filters that cycled the water 550 gallons per hour. Seems excessive, but it's totally not! Comets and commons can grow to a foot long with good care!! :)

Guest evanrockwell

And I have a picture of the fish HERE if anyone wants to see.

Peter (North) is the big one in front, Bobby (Vitale) is hiding behind Peter and Steven (St. Croix) is off to the right.

Just thought I would share that :)

Evanrockwell, if i were i would take 2 fish back to the fish shop and keep one of the comet in the 10 gallon since 10 is the minium gallonage for a double tail goldfish and the minium gallonage for a single tail is 15-20 gallons since they grow much bigger and more boisterous than the fancies.

Guest PenelopeFish

I just think you should get your "much larger tank" as soon as possible, then you can keep all three of your beautiful fish. But if you can't get that tank, I agree with podgygoldy that you should take two of the fishies back :cry1

PenelopeFish :heart

Guest labrat99

You can successfully keep three fish in a 10 gallon tank. To do so however will necessitate very frequent water changes. Probably every 20% daily, I don't know. If this is a new tank, you'll probably be needing to do daily changes anyway until it is cycled so it might not be too much added trouble.

If it was me, I'd go with two filters and constant water changes until I could get a bigger tank. This method will only work if you are diligent about water changes. If you let it go more than a few days, the fish will not make it. Good luck.

Labrat

Archived