Ranchu Not Getting Enough Food...

Guest mimodok

Guest mimodok

I just got a calico ranchu. He's in a 37 gallon aquarium with two smaller orandas. He can't see up or down very well, and because of his size and shape he swims slowly.

Whenever I feed them, the food will be eaten by the orandas before he even sees it. I've had him for a few days and I've been feeding him at night by netting him, and putting food in the net so the other fish can't get it.

:( I know this is very stressful to be netting him every night, but I don't know any other way for him to get food. Any suggestions?

I have a feeling that he will catch on soon--since he is new, he is still getting used to his surroundings. Try dropping some food in and while the two faster eaters are gobbling it up, drop in more and see if your ranchu can find it.

I used to have to do that with my telescope who is in a 50 gallon tank with an oranda and a fantail (much faster eaters). Telescopes can't see that well. Mine learned to find the food by "hoovering" around the bottom while the others are gulping it as it is sinking.

Some people train fish to be hand-fed to make sure that they get enough to eat.

Try putting food in on one side for the fast ones and somehow the ranchu over to the other side and then drop food in.

Good luck with your :newfish

:)

Perhaps, if he still can't find the food, you could get a tank divider until he gets used to where the food is placed, or, as Wynkin mentioned, you can teach him to eat from your fingers during the time he's sepperated.

Just a suggestion if you still have problems.

Guest mimodok

:D You were right about him getting used to his new tank. He's starting to figure out feeding times and where to find food. He also does the hovering thing you described.

I think I'll have to hand feed him every now and then to make sure he's getting enough though. Does anyone know how to train them to do that? I did that while he was in the net but I don't think he learned from it. :unsure:

To handfeed(based on my experice) - You have to make sure they know when and where the feeding time and food is... But you said hes already getting used to the feeding times now you need to make the food sink so that when he comes up to get the food he will learn that he only gets it when you give him/her the food... The first few times he might be alittle skittish but after a week or so he will get used to it :)

Archived