Looking For An "irresistable" Goldie Food

Donya

I need to find a good "treat" food. I made some progress with my ultra-shy golie a couple days ago: he actually begged for food, ate it (that's a first--before he'd run away after begging) with me watching and then begged for more. I'd like to get him over his shyness via having some treat that he can't resist eating, but so far I have stuck out on finding any obvious foods that he will eat preferentially to algae. He lives in a world of filamentous algae munchies that have become his favorite food, so he's hard to tempt. Strawberries almost worked about a month ago but he lost interest in them pretty fast, peas are hit and miss, and he ignores carrots and broccolii. He eats goldfish crumbles, and his mouth is still too small to eat a lot of other pellet food. Any suggestions for stuff I should try?

:lol: I have not one shy goldfish in the bunch! They will come up to my hands no matter what I have in them-they don't care what it is! :rofl Every food is a favorite! :rofl I will say that my Black Moor's absolutely adore Zucchinnii/Squash/Cukecumber's. Every one else will go for them too,but the Moor's for some reason are on a mission to eat every last drop. Weird as it is,I take frozen bloodworm/froz. Myosis Shrimp,and anything else I have in the freezer for them,and I put it in a margarine bowl with some hot dechlorinated water to thaw them out quickly.I use to pour it all in the tank at once,but some of the bigger fish would open their mouth and inhale half or more before anyone else could get to it. I started using a plastic spoon to distribute it around the tank more evenly,so that maybe even the Dojo Loaches could get lucky,Anyway,as soon as they see that bowl & white plastic spoon,they're all up at the top slurping at the water.I can't even get the spoon into the tank because they know what they're getting,and they allready have their fishy lips wrapped around the spoon and my fingers! :rofl3

Hi,

Most goldfish absolutely love Progold from Goldfish Connection--mine certainly do and they go nuts for the spirulina flakes that I get from there also. ---> GF Connection

You could break them up a bit since you said that his mouth is too small. He will grow fast, especially if you feed him Progold. :D

You've got some smart fish there, Devs. A bit like Pavlo's dog, gee I forget what he used to do, ring a bell or something and they'd all start drolling even if there was no food in sight. :druel:lol:

Donya, perhaps with all that algae floating around he is sick of his greens! :lol: There are lots of commerical foods available, everyone has a favourite and mine atm is Hikari Wheat Germ floating pellets, they are small.

The koi farm recommended them for cooler climates or seasons (it's autumn here) although they can be eaten year round. My fish luv 'em.

Archived