Sick Ryukin

Guest Ella

Hello all! I've got a sick fish on my hands, and i'm not quite sure what the problem is.

I have a 20G tank with great filtration. I just changed the water two days ago, and the amonia, nitrIte, nitrAte and pH are all normal. I use aquarium salt, 1T per 5G's. I probably have been feeding him too often (once a day) and alot of the pellets seem to fall into the rocks. We've had this tank set up for about 8 months and this particular fish has been with us for 5 1/2 months. He is a fat little ryukin named Fishy. He isn't acting differently at all, except when I feed him more than a few pellets at a time he'll start to float alittle. (thats not the main problem, but i did want to mention that) But he does that all the time...

He has this little white thing sticking out of his tail (the muscular part). At first i thought it was anchor worm, but it isn't long and doesn't fork at the end. I also thought it could be ich, but its longer than a grain of salt. He had another one on the other side of his body a week ago, but it went away. now he has had this one for about 3 days.

I was hoping it was just stress related, since i've been busy and havent had a chance to change his water in a about a month...

Let me know what you guys think it could be...

:ill

Now the white thing on his tail is turning fuzzy... i'm wondering if it IS ich...

please help! I don't want to medicate till i know what it is!

You could try lifting his tail up gently out of the water and swab it with a q-tip dipped in hydrogen peroxide. Use the 3% solution/10-volume hydrogen peroxide, the type used on wounds.

This should remove the fuzzy thing. The area will be a bit whitish for a few days, but this will gradually disappear.

My pom-pom had a little fuzzy growth near his tail, and I did this and it is gone and it never returned.

It can't hurt to try this and if he continues to have problems, we would have to look into it more.

Also, his floating problems could be as a result of his diet. Could you give us an idea of what you are feeding him now :)

:) I know that you said water Params were all good,but what are the actual #'s for them? This may also be a factor in your goldfish floating.

Looks like Fishy's getting better already! Thanks for giving me some advice... I have a feeling the problems were stemming from the tank water, because a day or two after i changed the water he was swimming around with SO much energy! His little white thing is almost completely gone too! When they slowly become more and more lethargic, sometimes its hard to notice until they are back to normal and you are looking at it in retrospect...

But yeah, thanks so much!

-Ella

:heart

:D Glad to hear that things are better. Alot of the Problems that we as fishkeeper's face,we bring on our own. :( So many ailments/Problems stem from poor water conditions,and that's our fault-we create that.It is truly amazing what some Pristene water can do for a sick fish. The trick here is the learning of Prevention.....It starts out as a chore/pain to do those weekly water changes/gravel vacs, but it soon becomes like brushing your teeth if you have a love for your goldie. :D Believe me,there's nothing better than watching a big fat healthy goldie wiggling around your tank! :heart Continued success!

Archived