Sick Tank Set Up

Guest PenelopeFish

Guest PenelopeFish

Hi everyone,

I have a very sick goldie (my favorite, Penelope, no less). She/he has fin rot, because of bad water conditions. I have begun setting up a quarentine, or sick tank. This is how I've gone about it.

I bought a 10 gallon tank and a bubbler. I've filled the tank and put in the bubbler and I let it sit for 24 hours. Now I am going to put Penelope in with some medicine. The medicine is called "Mardel, Maracyn-Two" (I thought I should mention this, 'cause I've never seen you guys talk about that type of fin rot medication. Have any of you heard about it?). I have decided not to put in a filter for this tank. I don't have a free one handy, and carbon isn't good to use when you're using medications anyway. I know it would be good to have a filter with a sponge, but I just don't have the money for a new filter. So I am hoping that the bubbler will keep the water circulating, and that the poop can chill out at the bottom of the tank for five days. Do you think this will be a problem? The medication package says that I can't do water changes for five days. I won't be feeding her for her treatment period, but maybe she'll poop too much anyway? I don't know! I need help! I really really really want Penelope to survive, so any tips you guys could give me would be great. Thank you in advance!

PenelopeFish :heart

Well, a filter would help, especially if you're not doing water changes, but I guess you could, if you're really committed to this fish, put a piece of cloth to act like a sieve in your siphon, then siphon out the water into a bucket, then siphon it back in, then repeat until all the poop is gone and caught in the fabric, then take the fabric out and clean it. The tank isn't cycled though, so I don't know for sure how it will turn out without water changes. If you can spare some money, buy some Biospira and put it in. you can find it at specialty fish stores, not normal pet stores. Maracyn two is pretty popular, it should be good. If you use the technique I suggested, you should be able to feed her without much ado. If this is a little unclear, you can pm me and I'll explain it better. Hope this helped! :D:goodluck

Guest PenelopeFish

My goldie with fin rot is doing SO MUCH BETTER! I just wanted to announce that, because I have been trying so hard to make her well. I almost quit the whole goldfish thing when I couldn't improve her health, but I stuck with it and she is going to live! Hooray for persistance! Ok, that's all.

PenelopeFish :heart

Im happy for you, too! Sorry I didnt see this post sooner. Maracyn 2 is an excellent med and my most-recommended antibiotic. A 10 gallon with just an airstone is perfect as a hospital tank. A filter is really unnecessary as you will not be cycling this tank. Antibiotics will wreck any beneficial bacteria that is building up, anyhow.

Antibiotics break down in the water after 24 hours so doing a small water change just before the next dosage is best. (A marine biologist told me this and Ive always followed her advice). I do a 25% wc just before I add the next dosage. That lowers any ammonia that may have built up and has also provided fresh water to the sick fish. Then you can just add the next dosage and be on your way.

Whenever possible its a good idea to fill the 10 gallon with water from your main tank. :)

Archived