Ooops

Incandisco

:cry1 If you crack the bottom of a tank, is it worth even thinking about getting it re-glazed, or is it better to throw out the whole lot and start again?

The reason I ask, is that I just took a load of old, hand sealed glass from the top of my tank, and a piece dropped to the bottom of the tank, and cracked straight through the bottom. It's my 75g, and I only picked it up yesterday.

I know it's a longshot, as I'm in the UK, but does anybody have any idea what to do about this - I'm devastated. It happened about 10 mins ago, and I just can't feel anything other than numb at the moment! :cry1

if its a crack, no displaced pieces, theoretically, you could seal it on the inside, with silicone, outside, with epoxy, the reinforce the whole bottom with a laminate of plexi-glass. i have done this for two people. one worked, one didnt. 15 or 20 dollars in a maybe repair, as compared to the price of a replacement tank? its always a personal choice, but im such a pack rat cheap skate, i generally always go for the cheap way first.

if you had access, and the desire, you could have the piece replaced or do it yourself, if you could find glass and have it cut to size. if memory serves, tank construction is so that all the walls of the tank set directly on the bottom piece, and are held in place with silicone. then its brace and strengthened by the outer piece, that on my tanks is some sort of plastic.

im always petrified when moving tanks, or generally messing around in such a manner that accidents could happen. technically, i think it could be some sort of phobia.

Cheers Mike - but I've now had a look and assessed the damage fully - following which, I've just requested a quote on a new tank! It's not just a crack - more like a bullet hole, with full spiders legs to match.

Typical, it could only happen to me! Especially when it was that cheap. It cost ?100 including fuel to go and pick it up.

Still, at least I don't have to strip a new tank down, and clean off any grime before I use it!

Thanks again.

Guest Heather

100 seems quite high...... is this including the hood and lights etc ??? my 50 gallon was 50 pounds..... but with no hood and no light unit, i got the hood for 30 from a localish store and the lighting unit from pets at home (same place i got the tank from........) theoretically, if its a bullet whole.....u could get another sheet of glass that sits snug inside your tank, ontop of the old one and seal it around the inside with aquarium sealant ? aslong as u keep it on a solid flat surface this should be ok, your call though :)

Kev

Oooooh. That makes my stomach just ache for you!

I have often wondered what the automobile glass repair fellows could do. They can repair rock pings - even ones that have shot all the way through the windshield. And they never crack or run from there. They clean up running cracks so the do not go any further. Maybe if you could get one of those guys to do it for you, and then seal it with lots of silicon sticky. I would try asking one if they would "job out" on a weekend and do the work for a price. It is really not very expensive for a windshield.

I am so sorry. :(

Ok...

Heather - it was ?80 including a cabinet stand and the tank - no lid or lights. That's not too bad for a clear-seal 75g which would normally cost ?180 new here. ?20 on top for the fuel to go and pick it up, as it was 70 miles away from home.

Daryl - Hmmmm. That's not a bad idea - but I've already ordered a new tank. Still, if anyone wants the old one, you have 2 days to PM me and you can come and pick it up - no charge, as it's no good to me! If you can repair it, you can have it!

Archived