The No Eyes Fish

Guest lenny165

Guest lenny165

Hi, I'm the gal with the no eye fish, I wish I knew what kind it is. It's very small, round belly, no fin on top just tail and two little fins at botton of belly and speckled. When I bought them they had black large eyes not the usual eyes for a fish and not pop eye's. The one lost both eyes but she still hangs in and gets her food the other of her type has one normal eye and one all black eye, I'm worried that this black eye will fall out too. I'v been treating with antibiotics and keep them very clean and ch :crp eck levels. I think I bought them with problems. But there sooo cute. Can anyone tell me what kind of goldfish I have, they do not have that extra piece on top of their head. And there small short and stumpy, no bulging eyes. Is there another disease, I'm thinking tuberculosis. :crp

Welcome to Koko's! :)

What you are describing is a ranchu - or a ranchu with little or no wen. They sound like very pretty fish.

What I am not sure about is the "black" eye part. Many fish can have black in or around their eyes. They can have the color partially running through their eyes. If the fish is calico, they can have black speckles and stripes through their eyes. All these types of colored eyes are perfectly normal.

When you look at the eye from the side, can you see the clear dome of the lens still over the eye? If you can, that eye is most likely fine and healthy and normal. It is just colored that way.

Did the other fish's eyes fall out? Are they totally gone - just sockets where they uesd to be? There are multiple reasons this could have happened, but once the damage is done, the fish will normally heal and be perfectly healthy - just not have any eyes. A blind fish will learn to find food and everything it needs with very little problems.

If you are seeing no other symptoms other than color, perhaps there is nothing wrong here.

???????????????

Rocky, here, is a wenless ranchu. HE has black eyes with a gold stripe going though one and an orange stripe going through the other. His eyes are fine.

post-27-1114463706_thumb.jpg

Pudge, here has one black eye - the one you are seeing, and one orange eye, with a back pupil. He, too, sees just fine.

post-27-1114463825_thumb.jpg

Guest lenny165
Hi, I'm the gal with the no eye fish, I wish I knew what kind it is.  It's very small, round belly, no fin on top just tail and two little fins at botton of belly and speckled.  When I bought them they had black large eyes not the usual eyes for a fish and not pop eye's.  The one lost both eyes but she still hangs in and gets her food the other of her type has one normal eye and one all black eye, I'm worried that this black eye will fall out too.  I'v been treating with antibiotics and keep them very clean and ch :crp eck levels.  I think I bought them with problems.  But there sooo  cute.  Can anyone tell me what kind of goldfish I have, they do not have that extra piece on top of their head. And there small short and stumpy, no bulging eyes.  Is there another disease, I'm thinking tuberculosis. :crp

319641[/snapback]

The black eye is large for the size of the fish, larger than the other eye, no pupil just all black. Actually the eyes were what attracted me to the fish now I think something is wrong with them. And they protrude a little not like the pop eye.

Guest lenny165
Hi, I'm the gal with the no eye fish, I wish I knew what kind it is.? It's very small, round belly, no fin on top just tail and two little fins at botton of belly and speckled.? When I bought them they had black large eyes not the usual eyes for a fish and not pop eye's.? The one lost both eyes but she still hangs in and gets her food the other of her type has one normal eye and one all black eye, I'm worried that this black eye will fall out too.? I'v been treating with antibiotics and keep them very clean and ch :crp eck levels.? I think I bought them with problems.? But there sooo? cute.? Can anyone tell me what kind of goldfish I have, they do not have that extra piece on top of their head. And there small short and stumpy, no bulging eyes.? Is there another disease, I'm thinking tuberculosis. :crp

319641[/snapback]

The black eye is large for the size of the fish, larger than the other eye, no pupil just all black. Actually the eyes were what attracted me to the fish now I think something is wrong with them. And they protrude a little not like the pop eye.

319658[/snapback]

Guest lenny165

I don't know how to post pics yet, hope to learn soon. All I can explain is the one eye is normal black then an orange or yellow circle and black dot in center the other eye is all just black which makes it look larger. They are the most adorable little goldfish I'v ever seen. Soo Sad about her eyes. But she still eats and swims around there's 5 in a 10 gallon tank that I keep really clean.

Guest sourmilknightmares

Yep, goldfish grow up to be huge and they need space when they are little so that can grow and won't get stunted.

If you suspect your fish might have tuberculosis be very careful not to get the water in any cuts or in your mouth. It might not be a bad idea to wear gloves when dealing with the fish. Fish TB is often deadly to the fish and can be transmitted to the owner. It doesn't show up like normal fish TB but it creates lesions and bumps around the hands and arms that are biggish, nasty, and slow to heal. Fortunately fish TB is pretty rare.

Did you fish with no eyes have both eyes missing when you bought it? If he seems healthy except for the missing eyes I wouldn't worry about it. Fish eyes could have gotten bit off by another fish or he could have bumped really hard into something or any number of things. I, myself, have a half blind lionhead. She was a little sickly when I bought her but is now alive and very, very well. She's a true little fighter!

You'll want to get a new tanl soon as a ten gallon is far too small for 5 goldfish. An inexpensive alternative to a tank is a large rubbermaid container. 20-30 gallon ones only cost about $10-$15 and work just as well as a tank, only they aren't always see through. It will be better for your fish's health though as it will give them lots of room to grow into big, healthy fish!

Here's a picture of my little one eyed lionhead. mary.jpg

Guest lenny165

Thanks I guess I'm out looking for a new tank. and no the fish had eyes when I bought it but what attracted me were there big black eyes, now I know that is not normal for a fish especially a fancy little pot belly[The eyes were pitch black and the size of a flat eraser on a pencil. The one fish lost both eyes the other now only has one black big eye and one normal after antibiotics. Who knew. None of them is aggressive. :crp

Good luck with your new tank.

And it is perfectly normal for fish to have black eyes. My fish has one black eye, and the other has a half black and half red eye. Just has to do with pigmintation. Like how my eyes are a orange color, and some peoples are blue, some brown ect ect. I must say it is very strange your fishes eyes fell out... but i can almost garentee it has nothing to do with the color.

Guest lenny165

I can't seem to explain the eye bit there eyes were pitch black and not popped out but large like a pencil eraser but flat never seen ones like this before thats what I liked but now I'm sure something was wrong when I bought because now the second fish's one eye has gone normal the other huge and black. Using antibiotics. Who knows!!!

Guest lenny165
Yep, goldfish grow up to be huge and they need space when they are little so that can grow and won't get stunted.

If you suspect your fish might have tuberculosis be very careful not to get the water in any cuts or in your mouth. It might not be a bad idea to wear gloves when dealing with the fish. Fish TB is often deadly to the fish and can be transmitted to the owner. It doesn't show up like normal fish TB but it creates lesions and bumps around the hands and arms that are biggish, nasty, and slow to heal. Fortunately fish TB is pretty rare.

Did you fish with no eyes have both eyes missing when you bought it?  If he seems healthy except for the missing eyes I wouldn't worry about it. Fish eyes could have gotten bit off by another fish or he could have bumped really hard into something or any number of things. I, myself, have a half blind lionhead. She was a little sickly when I bought her but is now alive and very, very well. She's a true little fighter!

You'll want to get a new tanl soon as a ten gallon is far too small for 5 goldfish. An inexpensive alternative to a tank is a large rubbermaid container. 20-30 gallon ones only cost about $10-$15 and work just as well as a tank, only they aren't always see through. It will be better for your fish's health though as it will give them lots of room to grow into big, healthy fish!

Here's a picture of my little one eyed lionhead. mary.jpg

320496[/snapback]

How did your fish loose its eye.

Guest sourmilknightmares

My girlie actually still has her eye it is just squished and kinda creepy looking. The pupil is smaller and I'm pretty certain she doesn't have any sight in it. It was like that when I bought her. She was a nooppee fishie and I'm always attracted to the ones with abnormalties. I noticed her messed up eye and liked her but didn't get her. Two weeks later she was STILL at nooppee and her health was taking a turn for the worse so I ended up bringing her home; I've yet to regret it! I wish I had a picture of her eye that I could show you! Maybe I'll get one uploaded soon.

Guest lenny165

Well my two little no win calico ranchu's were beautiful with these enormous black eyes and swiming in with dead fish :cry1 I just took the orange calico but the white and black looked so sad I went back the next day and brought her home too but there was already something wrong with there eyes but that's what attracted me to them so large and soooo black before I knew it one just went missing so I got some anitiboitics but the other fell out too now the other one with black eyes also one has gotten normal the other is still black and to large for his body. I'll treat again and see if that fixes the problem. They are so cute and she's(Bess & Porgy the boy} doing fine blind as can be but I call her and she finds the food. Wish I had known something was wrong. But at least she's happy and swimming around fine.

Guest lenny165

I just noticed your sixteen. my grandaughter that I've had since birth is 16 and lives with me she brought the %@#@!$$ goldi home from Philladelphia on a plane from visiting her friend. But I grew to love him and his playmates. So wonderful of you to save your little girlie.

Archived