Finrot

coyote ugly

I was wondering if a fish can get very bad finrot overnight :unsure: I just noticed my oranda,baby boh's caudal and tail fin's shredded/ragged and he was fine yesterday.It sure looks like finrot to me but can it get worse overnight or was he attacked by his tankmates?Can a common pleco nip a goldfish's fin because I have one in there.Thanks for any input :)

I think it is entirely possible for fin rot or other such conditions to appear overnight - for there is lots of nasty things that you may miss seeing. Poor water quality can really cause problems fast.

HOWEVER...... a common pleco in the tank is sending up red flags all over here - they will shred a goldfish overnight - and cnn kill them just as fast. So, before you worry about anything else, you need to get the pleco separated from your goldies.

Even though the pleco was almost certainly the cause of the fin shredding, do not forget that now they are damaged, the fish's fins are open for secondary infections - such as fin rot.

You will need to monitor your water parameters very very carefully for a while - and keep a close eye on the fish's fins - if they show an signs of further damage or infection, you will need to treat at that time.

I agree with Daryl. A pleco can cause a lot of damage overnight, and many goldfish rest on the bottom when they sleep, which makes them easy prey for plecos.

With good water, your fish's fins should regenerate in a week or two and look as good as new :)

Thanks Daryl and touchofsky for the fast reply :)

Ever since I read about common plecos,I've been meaning to take him out but I don't know what to do with it.My LFS wouldn't take him back :( I guess it's time to get him his own tank :blink:

I have sterilized my tank last week since I have been losing a lot of fish lately :( A friend suggested a complete clean up just in case bad bugs colonized my tanks making my fish die.So,my tank is not cycled.Could this also be a reason for his finrot :unsure:

To seperate the pleco temporarily, could you use a tank divider? I don't know much about plecos but it was just a suggestion I had that might help you.

Good luck!

Been doing some tests and so far,there is no ammonia,nitrite and nitrate at 10(nitrate from tap is 10)

Is there anything else I can do for him to help?I'm thinking of adding salt maybe? :unsure:

Archived