Goldfish Tooth

aqua

I found a goldfish tooth in the tank several weeks ago, and I was wondering how common it is to find one.

I had noticed something small and white near the front of the tank then stuck my had in the tank and got it out. When I looked at it a little closer I noticed that it had grove on one side and a pit on the other. I couldn't believe it but it looked like it could actually be a goldfish tooth, so I attached it to a small bit of poster board and suck it in my scrap book. :lol:

Guest 2 commons

I would be really interested in a picture or a drawing to show my students. We have talked about the parts of a fish and I told them about the teeth but they don't beleive me.

That is really cool! do you have a mircoscope to put it under and then take the picture?

319775[/snapback]

sure, but I don't think that I can get a pic of the whole tooth even under the weakest objective.

YES! I find them all the time in my 100 gallon! It is barebottom except for some river pebbles so they are very easy to see in there. So many have accumulated in there now that they swirl up almost like gravel when I vacuum (they are too heavy to be sucked out). I have found them from my largest fish all the way down to the baby. I was amazed the first time I saw one, too. Thats a great picture you posted, too. :)

Supposedly they shed them pretty regularly but Im not sure of exactly how often that is. Hopefully someone else will know.

Yeah, Im pretty sure they grow back..... it's funny, I get em in my 125 ALL THE TIME, and they're such a pain in the butt, cuz like Jen said, they don't come up with the syphoning...... I remember a member on here a LONG time ago that was realllly anal about those teeth, and she would pick em out of her tank by pressing her finger on em till they stuck, and she'd go around her tank and get them ALL! :blink: I think it was Karen?? Anyway, yeah, it's funny seeing em up close like taht.... awesome picture!!!

Archived