What Is The True Definition Of Calico?

Guest silver360

Guest silver360

If a goldfish is orange and white, is it considered a calico? What about red and white? Also, if a goldfish is orange/white or red/white, is it possible that they will develop black colorings with time?

Guest VxShady

A calico is one of many colors, not just two. They can have red, white, yellow, brown, black, orange, blue, and more. All blotched and spotty.

Yup - Calico is technically any combination of colors that is greater than or equal to three. (white, red, and black and their derivitives) The more valued ones have the least yellow/orange/red and the most silver/white/black.

Goldfish change colors a lot in their life times. Black, however, is the most transient and unstable color.

I am not going to say that it is impossible for a fish to change and get black back or develop black, but I have never seen or heard of one that did, particularly if orange or red is the predominant color of the fish.

My panda, Winter's Solstice, changed from a black and white fish to an all black fish, and then back to a black and white fish as he grew. But he never showed any red/orange/yellow.

so what would you call a fish that was one color and on top of that another color that's sorta blotchy like mud splatters? did that make sense? :huh:

Hey Meg, I have a new calico ruykin named Pinto! He/she is only young and has a white background with chocolate splotches and all his/her fins are chocolate too. There is actually a name for that standard of Pinto marking - Tonesheno?, can't remember, it was too odd for a fish name anyway. :lol:

ahaah yeah, i was going to say overo, but thats horses not fish. lol, i use whut knowledge im given. Pinto is a lovely name for a fish, i dont know where i came up with Booker, (for my calico fantail) his spts are fading away at the edges, so soon he will be a little pinto as well!

Calico coloration really does have a lot of variation. It is very desirable to have a baby blue undertone. High quality calicoes have that as their base color with the bright reds and deep blacks on top of it. Its amazing to watch how the coloration as well as location of spots and patches changes as they grow. I got my shubunkin Meeko 3 years ago as a small baby, about 2 inches. He was mostly tricolor at that time (red, white and black) and has since developed a beautiful deep blue undertone. He has lost a lot of his black due to being indoors but still has some nice blacks on his back and tail. One of these days I should post pics to show how hes changed.

As a side note most goldfish who start as tricolor eventually lose the black as they are not true calicoes, just red and white with some remnant black baby markings. Thats something to consider if you buy one expecting it to stay tri.

Archived