Lighting...

Desiree

hello. i have a 60 gallon tank and it came with a 28 watt 48 inch long flourescent bulb. for some reason i was thinking that you have to have a certain amount of watts per gallon to maintain decent plant growth and to maintain the fish as well. so i am thinking that my bulb is waaaaaaaay to low in wattage. but i can't find the info... please help. thanks! :)

Yep, Koko is right. When i started off with live plants, I had 2 15 watt nutri glow lights on my 55 gallon. My plants did ok, but werent growing much, if at all really. So i went out and bought a coralife lighting system. Makes a bIG difference. Cant remember what the total watts are, but its at least 3 or so watts per gallon.

Just one thing though, the more lights, the more rapid algea grows. Boy and boy, ive never seen so much algea in my tank! Luckily it has turned a nice lush green, and acctually looks kinda pretty on the back wall, river rocks and drift wood.

Good Luck!

oh well... looks like i have to buy a new light anyways. in an effort to protect my new silk plants for the tank from my cat who was chewing on them my boyfriend knocked over the light fixture. so now, when i turn it on it just flashes on then off again. do you think the fixture is broken or just the bulb? i would imagine if it was just the bulb it wouldnt turn on at all.... please advise! :) thanks! :)

• Admin

I might make sure the bulb is all the way in the holders. If so then it looks to me it might be the transformer that got knocked loose, if your good with fixing things like this you could take that part to a electrical place and replace it :D

Archived