Gravel Vacuuming And Plants Like Java Moss

Guest silver360

Guest silver360

How do plants like Java Moss affect your vacuuming process? What do you to do clean your gravel/rocks/other substrate when its covered in Java Moss or a similar plant?

I gently gravel vac the java moss. I hold the gravel vac over the moss and put my finger over the hose at the end to slow down the suction a bit. This removes any debris from the moss. You can gently move the moss if it is sitting on the gravel, since it will only be attached to a thin layer of the top gravel and vacuum the gravel underneath. Java moss never forms roots so they don't extend down into the gravel.

I hope this isn't too confusing :D

Guest silver360
I gently gravel vac the java moss.  I hold the gravel vac over the moss and put my finger over the hose at the end to slow down the suction a bit.  This removes any debris from the moss.  You can gently move the moss if it is sitting on the gravel, since it will only be attached to a thin layer of the top gravel and vacuum the gravel underneath.  Java moss never forms roots so they don't extend down into the gravel.

I hope this isn't too confusing  :D

319488[/snapback]

Not confusing--I think I see what you mean. I was originally worried that the moss would be 'stuck' (via roots) to the rocks/gravel and thus be impossible to vacuum underneath. Since you say they don't root, I think I might give Java Moss a try.

Archived