Cleaning Used Tank

Desiree

ok, i have a new to me used 60 gallon tank that i am setting up. tonight i scraped off all the white mineral deposits off of it with white vinegar, tank cleaner, an algae scrubber, and a razor. i rinsed the tank pretty well and dried it. but i was wondering if i should rinse it out more than once? please advise! :) thanks!

I had a couple of used tanks and didn't know about the vinegar at the time so I used a low concentration of bleach with lots of rinsing. Then I let it set out in the sunshine a while. I have heard the sunshine is great for the uv rays to help sterilize it so if you're having sunshine today I would probably do that too. have fun setting it up! :D

Fishrpets is right on there. The white vinegar will remove the hard mineral deposits, but you need to also address the possible contagions that may be in the tank.

As fishrpets stated, filling the tank with either a concentration of bleach:water (1:10) and letting it sit for at least 10 minutes is a very good disinfection method. You need the surfaces wet with the solution for at least 10 minutes to kill the most common pathegens. REmember - fill that tank to the absolute brim. I do it outside on the patio. I also toss in any and all equipment that I have - filter pieces and tubing, air hoses, decorations, etc. You can also use potasssium permanganate - fill the tank and add the pp until the water is bright purple. Make sure it remains purple for at least an hour - add more if it turns brown.

AFter emptying your tank, the UV from the sun is an excellent backup steriliazation process. I lay all the pieces out in the sun and let them bake for a few hours. I turn them over at least once.

I would not recommend reusing any sponges, cartridges, floss or such from another tank. You can boil ceramic media, lava rock and sintered glass (10 minute full boil) to disinfect it for reuse. I would replace the bio wheel or at least soak it in the bleach solution and UV treat it.

That tank sounds really great! What fun to set up. :)

Thanks for all the help Fishrpets & Daryl. I would use bleach but i am kinda afraid of it.... You mentioned Potassium Permagranate... where can I find that? I would feel much more comfortable using something other than bleach. I can do this all in my backyard! :) Oh, and just so you know, I am only using the used tank no rocks or decorations or anything. All of that is coming from my current 30 gallon tank. You know, filling the tank to the brim with PP will also be a good way to be assured that the tank doesn't leak too... :) My apt complex has quite a few stray cats roaming around. If they got into the PP at all could that harm them? Thanks again for the wonderful information. Just another reason why I don't know where I would be without this site! :)

I understand the thought of bleach being a little scary but honestly, it breaks down to little more than salt and water. I learned that when I worked in childcare and we had to bleach the cups and stuff. I don't know about the PP, sorry!

They often sell it in liquid form in the pet stores. This is a rather expensive way to get it if you are going to use very much.

I recently found that you can get the crystals in Sears - where they sell the chemicals for water softeners and water softener cleaning products. For about $5 you can get enough pp to last 50 years.

If you are going to use pp, be careful. It is one of the most powerful dyes out there. If you get it on your hands they will be dyed brown for a few days. The crystals will permanantly dye any fabric you splash it on, so - work precisely.

:)

Archived