Black Scales! Help!

Guest smileygus

Guest smileygus

I just noticed that there is something wrong with my bubble eye GF. I just turned on the light to feed him and his head was on the gravel and his tail was pointed up.....in a verticle line. Two patches of scales near his head are black. It seems to be in the same area on both sides. There is also some on the base of his talk. Along his backbone is a small red spot.

He always had these little black dots on his forehead. There seem to be a few more and the seem to be darker.

He is laying on his side now breathing rapidly.

I really don't know what to do. Nothing has changed and his water is fine. The nitrates are at 20 but the tank stays that way.

I also cant tell if his scales are sticking up. He is so small.

Im sorry if this doesnt make much sense but I am in panic mode right now.

Please help me if you can.

:cry1

Guest smileygus

20 H

nitrate 20

nitrite 0

hardness 150

kh 120

ph 7.8

ammonia .25

filter aquaclear 200

water temp dropped today from 81 to 75

one GF 1 1/2 in

and I havent turned the light on for 2 days because the water temp was getting high.....

Hi Smileygus - just a couple of questions. Have you introduced anything to the tank lately? The reason i ask is the symptoms seem to point to a bacterial infection brought on by some kind of parasite.

It's a shot in the dark but if it were me - i'd try the non harmful treatment method and see if there's any improvement so - salt to 0.3% (1tsp per gallon x 3, 12 hours apart). Also, try raising the temp to 78-80 during salt treatment.

It's a longshot i know, especially if you've introduced nothing new lately - but time is of the essence here so hopefully the salt and raised temp will help.

Please post back soon and fingers crossed :)

Guest impellitteri88

ammonia .25 eh....hmm the black that appeared on your fish might be ammonia burns recovering.how often water changes are done??and also what's the size of your tank?feedings??what food??conditioners??it might be helpful if you feed your goldies 30minutes after light is switched on...and also make sure its at least 1 1/2 hours before you switch off the light after you feed them...depending on how much you feed...you dont really have to switch off the light if temp is high..prob leave it on for a shorter time.fishes sometimes need light....again..25%water change..0.3%salt...temp 77f-78f..

just a thought or two....cheers..

Yes that salt is fine.

I would also suggest that they could be ammonia burns attempting to heal. With having a cycled tank, a bump is always a factor in an illness. I would do an immediate water change and get the ammonia to 0.

With the symtoms you are describing.........head in the gravel and tail up, this is a form of SBD. Mild one, but I would recommend fasting the fish for a day or two and then feed peas.

Using the salt will help with any stress and the ammonia burns.

Good luck.

Have you tested the tap water? This is where I would start. If it comes back 0 then you could be over feeding.

Just to be clear there is 1 or 2 fish in the 20 gal tank?

Ok, now you know your problem. You will have to make sure you use an ammonia binder every time you do a water change.

Also you may want to try ammo chips in your filter.

You may want to post in the chemistry section with the question of your tap water having this reading, you should get some more tips to help with this.

Poor fishies, you will have to be right on top of this, or they will always have problems.

Guest smileygus

What do you mean by ammonia binder? I was told to take the ammonia chips out.

Frosty died a few hours ago.....

Is it because I took the ammonia chips out?

I would still like to figure all of this out even if Frosty is gone.

Thank you Laura!

I don't think that your fish died because you removed the chips.....sorry to hear he didn't make it.

An ammonia binder is going to be your water conditioner, like Prime or Amequel+. You will need to always use this when you do a water change. I am not sure why the person told you to remove the chips, did they explain why they recommended it? Usually people don't run them in the filters, And they have to be changed regularly.

Have you posted the question in the chemistry section yet?

There are a couple members who have alot of experience with this problem, unfortunately I am not one of them. So you see if another member can recommend what you should do. Now that Frosty has died your question will be better viewed in that forum.

I am sorry for your loss, I hope you can get it all worked out. My guess would be poor water quality helped in his death.

Guest smileygus

Awwww I worked so hard with that stupid water. I changed it every Friday and added Aqua Plus. I just couldn't get the ammonia down to 0. I feel so bad. I really hope I didn't kill Frosty. That's so sad.....

Oh and yes I did post in the water chem section.

Guest impellitteri88

Sorry to hear that your fish is gone...water quality is always the number one factor when it comes to sick fishes..probably what you can do to keep ammonia down in the future is age the water...let it sit for at least one night...try products like amquel+...ammolock 2 or stress zyme or if you want you can get one of those ammoballs and place it in the tank or in the filter.it'll last up to 2-3months..works alright..reduce feedings....feed them food which is low in fat and low phosphorus...again...sorry to hear about the loss...try to act faster when you see there are problems in the future....cheers

Archived