Ride The Bucking Bronco!

Guest squeeker

Guest squeeker

A few weeks ago I brought home a new female betta. I placed her in my 10 gallon tropical tank, but she didn't get on well with my other female, and the two began to fight. I didn't want to put the new girl in a bowl (I had just moved all my bettas OUT of their bowls to avoid frequent water changes), so I put her in my 77 gallon tank with my 7 goldfish of varying sizes.

Things were pretty peaceful! The betta seemed pretty intimidated by the huge fish, and left the smaller ones alone, too. Things seemed to be going well!

About a week ago, I noticed that the tips of the tail fins on two of my goldies (the ones with the longest tails) were beginning to fray. :huh: I was really confused, as my water conditions are pristine, and there is nothing but live plants in the tank, so no chance of the fins snagging on wood or plastic ornaments. I decided to just keep an eye on things to see if it got worse.

Yesterday, while watching TV, I just happened to look over at the tank. My big ryukin, Mrs. Chubbs, was swimming erraticly, flipping her tail fin all over the place! On the tip of her tail was the betta, with a mouthful of goldie fin, being flung all around! I couldn't believe it! :angry:

The betta, who was previously still unnamed, has now been dubbed

"The Blu B!t(h" :ignore

and has been set up in solitary confinement (a one gallon bowl on the dinner table). I don't know what I'm going to do with her... I have no other place to put her... and I am leaving for a month in Europe in a week! :unsure:

I never thought a the goldies and the betta would have a problem. Now, I recommend to NOT put the two together.

Guest squeeker

I've heard of bettas NIPPING fins, but this was rediculous!!

Yah, I have a friend house-sitting for me, and she is going to be taking care of the 3 tanks, snake, and hamster... but I was trying to keep things as simple as possible. I think I am going to add another divider to the 10-gallon that I already have 3 betta boys in... she can go there.

Quite a story about your wild betta :) I am glad you got it sorted before she did much damage to your goldies.

BTW, when you try and keep multiple female bettas, it is best to keep a larger number, say about five in a tank. They seem to get along better in a group. I have one tank with four females and one tank with seven females, and they all get along great. Although, I suppose there is always the odd female out there that won't get along with anybody :D

Guest squeeker

Touchofsky - yah, I know, they should be in larger groups. Previously, I had only two females in there before, and the two got along great. Unfortunately, one of the females jumped out while I was acclimatizing Blu. I didn't notice her on the floor, and I stepped on her... it was sad, gross, and disturbing all at once...

So, it woulda been 3, but it was not to be.

Guest squeeker

Yah, it sucked pretty hardcore, and Roxy had been a REALLY cool fish. She was the first female I ever owned. Funny that every fish I've ever had die on me has been a result of something that made them special, and never illness. What I mean is, Roxy was the best jumper on the face of the earth. At feeding time, I would put a pellet on the tip of my finger and hold it a good 5 inches over the surface of the water, and she'd jump right out and grab it from me! My other fish, Gimpy, a black moor, had a sorta deformed tail that made him not swim very well at all. He died by getting sucked into the python, something that would never have happened to my able-bodied fish. In both cases, their uniqueness caused their death. Thanks for the kind words...

Things are calm now; Blue is queen of the 10 gallon tropical tank, and Blu is going to be moved in with the boys, so it should all work out.

Now I'm getting REALLY excited for my trip!!!

you could get one of those holding tank containers that you put into your main tank, so she has the filtered water while you're away but is not getting near the goldfish.

Archived