Bubbeeye's Bubbles/cloudy

Guest Morten33

Guest Morten33

Hi,

Does anyone have BubbleEyes? I have three of them. I have had them for about 6 months. One of my bubbleEyes is an albino, she is all white kind of see-threw. Her bubbles or fluid filled sacks rather have always been tinted yellow. Like the fluid inside the sack is yellow, but you could see threw them. Just like the bubbles on my other two fish. BUT...over the past two days i have noticed that the yellow color is like cloudy or something? I can't see threw the bubbles at all...is this bad? She is acting just fine, water prams are fine. Just her bubbles are different. If anyone has any idea why this could be, please let me know. Or if you have a suggestion to a website that might be able to help me, that would be great too.

Thanks!

Emily

I may be going out on a limb here, but anytime a clear fluid is clouded, it's usually bacterial.... an infection of some sort because of the white blood cells. Kinda like a spinal tap.... clear fluid is a lack of white blood cells... cloudy is because of infection.

It'd help everyone immensely though if you could answer the questions in the box above so we can get a better idea. :)

Hi there emily - as errrika mentioned, it could be due to a flexobacterial infection. Are they pooping ok? What colour is it?

Again as Errrika mentioned, it would help to post as much information from the above box because once you rule out water quality issues and can attest that all nutritional needs are being met - then you can assume it may be bacterial.

I've had this happen to 3 of my fish in the past and i found the best medicine was perfect water conditions and the addition of salt to my tank - to 0.3%. That's 1tsp per gallon x 3, 12 hrs apart.

See if this helps - it should start to clear within 2 days otherwise you may need to try something a little stronger. Are you able to get any medicated food?

Hope this helps and post back soon :D

I agree with the above posters that this does sound like a bacterial infection. Perfect water conditions and perhaps medicated food, along with the salt, would be my recommendation.

The cloudiness will disappear, but I have read that there will be a hard ball left behind in the bubble.

Please keep us posted :)

Guest Morten33

Sorry it took me so long to post back!

AND I am so sorry I forgot to add the water perams, I know better than that. :crp

I'm pretty sure the water is good

I did a water test tonight

Ammonia - 0

NitrAte - 15

Nitrite - 0

Hardness - 120

Buffer/Akl - 170

PH - 7.7

Water changes are every 6 to 8 days with AquaSafe water conditioner. She is the only one that is having the issue, but I have two other bubbleeyes in the 10gal tank with her. (I didn't find out the tank was WAY too small until AFTER I got my fish as a gift) I just purchased a 46gal tank. I am having a stand made this weekend, then I will cycle it and get the babies right in there.

I feed a mixture of boiled mashed up rice with mashed up peas first then I feed soaked Pro-Gold pellets. I got the rice idea on this site for swimbladder. Sofia, who is the one with the cloudy bubbles also has chronic swimbladder. Feeding the rice mixture before the regular food keeps her from floating. The poop is a hard issue to figure out. I know that white poo is a sign on infection, but with feeding the rice the poo IS sometimes a little white. And there are times that she has bubbles in the poo too. But yesterday and today I noticed that it is long and stringy. So I'm sure thats not good.

As far as behavior, everything is normal she is acting just like she always does. They all have the best 'happy go lucky' personalities.

Soooooo let me know what you think i should do????? I do have marine salt I could add. I also have Jungle brand Parasite Clear 'tank buddies'. They are little tabs that dissolve in the water. But I do not have any medicated food.

Thanks for the help!

Emily

Hi Emily - i'd start salting (marine, sea, rock etc - any would be fine).. Go to 0.3% (as per original post) and see how you go. Don't wait too long though and that way you can see if there's any improvement :D

Adding strong meds to a tank can stress your fish a great deal - especially if we're not sure what's ailing them - so my suggestion would be to keep them on ice until needed.

Also if you can - raise your temp to about 78 degrees. You will hopefully start to see some improvement soon :D

Please post back soon and good luck :)

Guest Morten33

Okay, I did put in the salt last night. But I am thinking I didn't put in enough? If I have a 10gal, does that mean I need to put in 30tsp? Does anyone know if that would be like 1/2 cup or anything larger I can measure that by other than tsp? And do I do this every 12 hours like the post said?

Thanks!

Emily

Guest Morten33

Also, how long should I do this? (the salt) And should I be doing anything else?

Please let me know if there are any other suggestions?

Thanks

emily

Guest Morten33

Sorry, I know this is the third post with out waiting for someone to answer the other questions. But I am getting worried. When I first noticed her bubbles were cloudy I also noticed a tiny vein on the bubble. I thought it could see it just because the bubble was cloudy. But tonight there are a LOT of veins that I can see now. This doesn?t look right. Could this be just because of what ever is making her bubbles cloudy is making her veins show up?

Someone please post back as soon as you can. I lost a snail last night, I can't bare to loose a fish too, all in the same week.

Thanks!

Emily

Hi emily - to salt, use 2 tablespoons of salt (for your 10 gal) - wait 12 hours then another 2 tablespoons then 12 hrs and again.... (it equates to 1 teaspoon per gallon which takes you to 0.1% and you basically need to raise it 0.1% every 12 hours)

Then give it a couple of days and see how you go. Are you able to get any medicated food like medigold?

Guest Morten33

I PUT TOO MUCH IN! I did 15tsp in the night before last and then yesterday moring i put in 20! Then last night i put in more! Is this going to hurt them????? I didn't know I needed to do it slowly, no one said that until now. They are due for a water change today, will that help?

Guest Morten33

I just posted about putting to much salt in to fast, so I haven't heard back yet. So i am going to go ahead and do a 50% water change.

Update on the fish though, the one with the bubble problems....on one of her bubbles I can now see threw it a little better, but I can also see stuff in the bottom of the bubble, like the cloudy fluid or something. Gosh i wish i had a camera so i could post a picture. the other bubble still has a lot of veins going threw it still. It almost looks like it hurts.

Anyway, let me know if I hurt them with to much salt to fast. I am going to wait to put more salt in after the water change until I hear back from someone.

Thanks all!

Emily

Guest Morten33

I can see the clump of white stuff in one bubble pretty good now. It's about the size of a cottage cheese curd. It is stuck to the lower back of the inside of one of her bubbles. The other bubble is a little more cloudy than the one with the big clump, but I can still make out another smaller clump of stuff in that one too. I don't know if I am explaining this well enough. But this is NOT normal for her and does not look good. Please someone post back when you can and let me know if there is anything else I can do? I am going to see if i can borrow my dad's digi camera tomorrow so i can post a pic of her. I am getting worried. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Emily

Emily - I hope you've done a 50% waterchange. Don't put any more salt in yet because there'll still be too much in there. How much did you put in last night?(you didn't say) - then i can roughly calculate how much water you'll need to change.

If only you could get a camera - i'm not sure what you mean by the clump in her eye - but it does sound concerning. Have her eyes started to swell at all? Normally cloudy eye is a sign of a number of things, rather than a disease in its own right but to start, making sure her water quality is perfect is a good start.

Hope this helps :)

A picture would be good, I think the clumping might be the normal progression of the healing of the infection. I have read that with cloudy bubbles, it will clump up and then form a hard ball that will remain in the bubble.

Guest Morten33

The last time I salted was the night before last when I did was 15 tsp. Yes I did a 50% water change yesterday right after I read the post on how I should have SLOWLY added the salt.

The clump of stuff isn't in her eye, but in her bubble. BubbleEyes have a fluid filled sack on each side of head by their eyes. Yes, I was hoping that maybe it was just the progression of getting better that was creating the clumps. But what do you do if they stay in the bubble? That doesn?t sound good.

My dad is out of town, so I don't have a camera to take a picture of her with. I am hoping he will be back in town tomorrow or Tuesday...I will take a picture and post as soon as I can.

About the salt, when do I put more back in?

PS

This link takes you to a pick of two Bubbleeye gf.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/goldfish/BubbleEye.php

Did you put in teaspoons or tablespoons of salt? And how much do you figure you have in there now?

I read in the Johnson/Hess book that after an infection in the bubble a small hard ball will remain.

Guest Morten33

Oh know that sucks! (about the hard stuff staying in the bubble) Did it say how else I should treat the infection other than the salt?

And okay the salt. I did 15teaspoons (tsp) Thursday evening, Then Friday morning I did 15tsp and then 20tsp more in the evening. I was told to add 3% - 3tsp per gal (30tsp) every 12 hours. This seemed like a lot to me, so that is why I just did the 15 and 20 tsp. They didn't tell me to do it 1% at a time slowly adding the salt until I asked about it. AFTER I had added all that salt. I posted this and didn't get a response right away, so Saturday I did a 50% water change. And then last night I added about 2 table spoons just because I didn't know what to do, and I my fish is sick and I?m trying to help him get better. And I am not getting responses very fast for this on what to do. Which I totally understand, everyone has their own lives, but I am just trying to explain why I did the 50% water change and then that evening added 2 tbp. So what do I do now? Nothing...wait? What did that book say about the bubble infection or how it?s closed? Can it transfer to my other bubbleeye fish? And is salt the only way I can treat it?

Thanks for your help!

Please post back soon as you can :yeah:

Emily

I'm sorry emily - i obviously didn't make myself clear. When i said 1tsp per gallon x 3, 12 hrs apart i meant 1 teaspoon per gallon, 3 times, 12 hours apart.

Apologies

Guest Morten33

No problem, the babies are doing fine. Sofi's other bubble is starting to clear up now as well. I am keeping a close eye on them.

The book recommends impeccable water as treatment for the infection in the bubble. Here is a quote from the book as for the shrinkage of the cloudiness:

"Successful treatment is indicated when the general whitish colour disappears and seems to shrink down into a tiny white ball, which never entirely disappears."

How do things look today?

Archived