Emergency! Please Help!

Guest lairy_fights

Guest lairy_fights

Hi,

Okay, I've had my two beautiful goldfish for about a year now... and today, about half an hour ago I was giving their tank a regular monthly cleanup, where I take them out and put them in a temporary bowl and clean the tank thoroughly.

I've been doing that monthly for more than a year now... but today, while transfering one of them, it flopped out of the net and onto the floor, from a substantial height I might add! (well, for a goldfish!!). I quickly picked it up and put it back in the temporary bowl (while having a mild heartattack myself!) and it seemed fine. I continued to clean the tank as quickly as I could.

So now I just put them back into their tank and it seemed fine if not over active, so I take a good look and it's left front fin was BLEEDING from the under side or joint from the place where it's attached! :cry1

It keeps flapping it vigorously! If I could take whatever languages fish talk in I would tell it to keep it still, coz that's what I would do. But oh well. Anyways, I think it's broken it's joint or something but it seems to be able to function the fin perfectly, and is swimming about with it...

Now, I am guessing there probably isn't much to do except wait it out, but this is just a very desperate cry for help. If anyone knows anything I can do to help it out even a little bit PLEASE let me know!!

:cry1:cry1

Thankyou!!!

Sorry to hear about this. Welcome to our board by the way.

You are right, all you can do is wait and see. There are a couple things you can do to "help" though.

Make sure that there is no ammonia or nitrites in the water.

You will need to test for these plus nitrates and PH. All of this is very important.

I assume since you said you do a good cleaning once a month that you are not familar with a tank and it's cycle. You will need to read up on this if your fish has any chance to survive.

Water quality is everything to fish, it can heal them or kill them.

Once you read that if you have questions let us know.

Also can you answer all of the questions above, this will give us all the info we need to help you further.

Guest lairy_fights

I'll try to answer the above questions first:

I've read up all the info on this site. I'm actually not a new member just my password and username were saved on my computer so I never really needed to enter them. But recently I formatted my computer and couldn't remember them right now so I just made a new user.

I've had them for about a year and they've both grown quiet a lot. So all my levels are okay, I JUST checked them all about half an hour ago, everything's great.

The reason I do the good clean every month is coz I have a small tank and my fish have gotten quiet big (the one that's injured is about 5 inches).

I have a 5.5 gal tank and I know that's not enough for two goldfish, but I don't have any more room!!

Also, my tank doesn't have the filter system. It has the gravel filteration. Where the pump just cycles the water, not really filter it. So, as you can guess, the tank gets VERY filthy after about a month. Even with the regular weekly 10-20% change of water.

My fish have been in this for a year and they're normally very happy. They've never had any sort of disease (knock on wood) or anything, not even ick except when I first got them they got ammonia burns coz I didn't know about it. And I can't stop blaming myself for it!! :cry1

I hope this helps... But i figured there might not be anything I could do...

One bit of info though, I have two of them. So the one that's not injured tried to sort of 'lick' the wound, or maybe it was pushing the fin. But it only tried that once, and the injured fish (it's called silverwing btw, :cry1 , because it's fins were pure white with no streaks of red when I got it :cry1 ). It only did that once though, and silverwing, who is usally very animated, was completely still, so maybe it has really gotten itself all the help it needed...

anyways, thanks for your prompt reply! I just hope silverwing makes it through!!! :unsure:

I hope so too.

I do hope you know about the toxins that can build up under the gravel filter system. I would say you have been very lucky when tearing it down to clean it, that would release those toxins. Be careful I think you are in for some heart ache with the set up you have.

We are here to help you if you need more help. Take care.

Guest lairy_fights

Hi,

I would hope I've been doing something right! Coz my fish have been alive this long, knock on wood...

I personally feel goldfish are very... sturdy! What I basically did was that I tormented them a lot when they were really young, which was probably not a smart thing to do, but anyways... Like I said previously that was the only time they got ammonia burns. Then I found a setup that suited them, they became healthy and I stuck to that setup like glue. And that's been the norm ever since then. I did know that the setup I'm using was probably not the very "right" thing to do, but my fish didn't seem to mind, so I was like, well, whatever suits you, suits me. I'm literally afraid to change to anything else!!

I suppose a good news from my tank would be that silverwing is eating normally. I suppose that's a positive note...

THANKYOU SOOOOO MUCH for all your help!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lairy_fights

Hi,

Just thought I'd post a quick update on Silverwing.

he's fine (though I'm not so sure he's a he... how do you tell with fish?? :unsure: ). Anyways, I just kept all the levels of the tank as close to zero as possible, and he just sorta healed by himself, bless his soul!

My take on the thing is that his fin bled at the joint for about 2 days and one night, he didn't 'sleep' at all, just kept moving. After the 2nd night, I finally saw him 'sleeping' or just being still, which was a little scary at first, until I noticed that his fin, which was previously very red over quiet a big patch, was sorta brownish and lessenning. Slowly, over the next 2 - 3 days, the redness completely disappeared, and now he looks perfectly fine!! :D

The fin still looks like somebody pulled it a little from the joint, and there's a little bit of a gash, but it's working fine and isn't even bent at an odd angle anymore! :D .

So I suppose Silverwing's fine. Thankyou sooooooooo much for all your help! :-)

I am glad to hear this. And you are welcome. I hope he/she will continue to improve and bring lots of happiness to you.

As for sexing a fish, it can be a challenge especially when they are small. You can look at the anus, girls will have an "outie" and boys you won't see anything. Girls have sorta a "pooch" there.

Archived