Node On Side Of Fish

Guest WhitePhantom

Guest WhitePhantom

Hello all,

Last night when I went to feed my fish, I noticed a sizeable protrusion on the side of one calico fantail (Staree). I did not feed them last night because I was thinking that perhaps the node was caused by constipation but I wanted to see if others had some experience with this.

The facts:

Tank has been up and running for 8 months.

It is a 39 gallon tank with 4 small - medium sized fish.

I do a 30% plus water change every week.

Current readings (I normally do my water change on Sunday but took these readings before changing the water so as not to destroy any possible evidence)

My fish eat pellets/flakes in the morning and a variety of fruits/vegetables in the evening.

pH: 7.4

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 5.0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

I can update with additional readings after I do the water change but that should only improve these results.

All of the fish are behaving normally. They do not look abnormal except for poor Staree who has this node bulging out on his right side. None of his scales are sticking out, so it appears to be under his skin. He has not been rubbing against anything or flashing at all. He acts as he normally does. One thing to consider is that I changed their food one to two weeks ago. I was feeding them soaked pellets but was having some swim bladder issues with another fish, so I switched to flakes thinking that it might be easier for him to digest. While he seems to be doing better, Staree now has this bulge. The only significant difference between the flake and the pellet is that the flake has about 7% more protein than the pellets.

My current plan is to do a water change then treat it as if it were constipation and withhold food for three days then give some de-skinned peas. If you have any other advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I have seen fish in the past that have nodes somewhere on their bodies and I didn't know if this is just something that happens or if it could be more serious.

Your help is most welcome!

Thank you,

WhitePhantom

Thank you for giving us as much info as needed.

A couple thoughts, constipation being one and unfortunately the other, a tumor whether benign or cancerous.

Try as you have said the fasting and then peas, see if there is a change in the "node", does it look like a bump???

If no change it may be a growth of some kind. Let us know if anything else changes.

BTW your water is pristine, good work!!! That will give him a good chance of "healing" depending on what it is.

Guest WhitePhantom

It is a fairly large bump on his side. At first it looked like it was the size of an eye on the side of his body but now it is sticking out more than it was before. Less of a rounded bump and now much more like single lump poking out of his side. It looks like it is getting closer to the surface. It looks terribly painful even though he is not acting differently. I have been trying to keep an eye on him over the course of the day but I have yet to see him poop today. I am really hoping that it is some sort of blockage that can be cleared quickly but I am afraid that it is not the case. I will let you know if there is any change in appearance.

Thank you,

WhitePhantom

One of my orandas has had something like what you are describing for a few weeks now. Hers was sticking out a good bit on her side and it looked white. I gave her a couple of salt dips and the swelling went down alot and could no longer see the white. It came back yesterday :( though so I moved her to her own tank today to see if I can treat her better. I am kind of afraid it may be a tumor since I have heard that they can reappear. Good luck with your fish. I am interested to see what others have to say about it too.

Guest WhitePhantom

I too moved Staree to his own tank today. Many thanks to the person that wrote up the hospital tank article. It is so quick and easy to set it up now!

I isolated him just in case it is something bacterial and it *gulp* ruptures I do not want any others to get infected. I will try the salt baths tomorrow and see if that does reduce the lump. Also, I did notice that he did poo today so I do not think that he is constipated. We shall see what happens. Thanks for sharing your experice with me. It helps knowing that I am not alone.

-WhitePhantom

Guest WhitePhantom

Yes, it looks like what you have shown in the picture. When I got home from work today the bump had ruptured. It is so bizarre how quickly this all happened. From a raised bump to lump that is now poking out of his skin. He is not swimming around like he was yesterday either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be on-line throughout the evening. I took a picture of his wound but I do not know how to insert it into the text. I will see if I can figure out how to do so.

Thank you!

Guest WhitePhantom

Sorry, I don't think that I was specific enough in my last post. The lump itself is still intact (it did not burst) but it has broken through to the surface. It is a white lump that is under the skin/scales except for the portion that is in direct contact with the water now. Sorry that I cannot post a picture of this. The lump is not small compared to the size of my poor fishie's body.

Guest WhitePhantom

Oh my goodness! I just came downstairs to check on Staree and I saw that he was swimming pretty rapidly around the tank. Then suddenly the white lump came out! It is about the size of his eye and looks to be the same thickness too. I am thankful that this was not attached to anything else. The area where it dislodged from is still raised, though hollow now. My everchanging question is this... how do I treat him now that he has this sizeable hole in his side? Do I treat with meds? Or simply keep the water superclean and give him time to heal? Boy am I glad that he is isolated. It has made keeping track of his symptoms/ changes so much easier. I still can't believe that I walked downstairs right as this was happening. The poor guy is still hanging out at the bottom of the tank. All of his fins are erect (nothing clamped) and he is still breathing and alert but, did I mention that he has a large hole in his side? Please advise.

Many thanks,

a somewhat relieved phantom

Wow....I wouldn't have thought it would just fall out!? That is really something. I hope it heals quickly now. You mentioned the article on hospital tank set up and I know I have seen it before but I can't find it now. Do you remember where it is?

Guest WhitePhantom

I was amazed that it came out as well. He was swimming pretty fast... he must have know what he was doing. My instinct was to try and push it out but my husband was afraid that other fish parts would be attached to it. I am glad that the fish knew what he was doing. :) Anywho, I have never had a fish with an external injury before and I am worried about the risk of infection for this wound. Besides frequent water changes, is there anything else that I should be doing for him?

As for the hospital tank article, it was the tip of the month for July 2004. Great advice, so quick and easy to set up for sick fish or to isolate new fish.

Thanks for all of your help. It is so nice to have a place to go during a crisis. I finally got up to date on why I cannot post pictures. Once I get them downloaded from my camera I can send them to Koko so others can have something to compare it too should their fish get a strange lump.

Hi there whitephantom and wow :blink: things have been happening...

There's 2 things i'd do here

1) salt your tank - to 0.1%. So add in a teaspoon per gallon. This'll help protect him from any secondary bacterial infection.

2) and this is an 'only if you can get it' - you could try feeding him some medigold - medicated food. I hear such wonderful stories about how beneficial it is (sadly i can't get any in australia though :( )

And as you say - just pristine water all the way.

Keep us posted on how he goes :D

To get your pictures on, you can also sign up very quickly (free and easy) at photobucket.com and then you just upload your pictures to that site. Cut the url or img underneath your pic and paste it in your post.

I agree about the salt treatment and pristine water just to keep it from getting infected by anything else while it heals. Good luck! :)

Guest WhitePhantom

Hello all,

A quick update. My fish seems to be doing just fine. There is a scale that looks out of place but other than that he looks normal. The swelling in the area has gone down almost completely. I cannot tell you what a wild ride this has been. I am going to keep him isolated through the weekend and if all is well when I do the water change on the main tank, I think that I will put him back in with his friends. Still working on the pictures. Thank you for all of the help!

-wp

Guest WhitePhantom

Hello All,

Staree is now in the main tank with his buddies. The out of place scale is no longer out of place. You know how they say that cars can be restored to pre-loss condition? That is Staree, he is now back to pre-illness condition. Pretty incredible. Thanks again for your support and for keeping up with all of the postings on this web site. It is such a great resource.

-WP

Archived