Scales Gone! Ribs Showing

ryukingirl793

My common, Sashimi, has had this condition for a while. His scales are missing in big patches, and on his side, there are curved vertical lines that look like his ribs. They got sorta black around the edges for a little while, and then returned to this state. Now my favorite fish, Sushi, has the same thing. Acting fine.

Ammonia:under .25, pretty much 0

Nitrite:just over 10, but tank is full of detoxifiers

Nitrate:about 30-40

55 gallon running for about 5 weeks

Topfin 60 power filter

haven't changed water in a while, usually about 25% every week

I use prime, stress coat, added some Biospira

3 fish under 2 inches, no new fish,but condition started on Sashimi shortly after added to the tank, a few weeks ago

no other unusual findings or behavior except some fin rot on Sushi

Danielle, You should do another 30% water change. With your nitrates at 30-40 you shouldn't be seeing any ammonia or nitrites. Are you over feeding hun? This could cause those to rise.

While I agree Prime is a great detoxifier and conditioner you shouldn't be relying only on it.

Doing water changes to get the ammonia and nitrites to 0 will help you and the fish.

It sounds as though you are describing ammonia burns that are healing. Your ammonia and nitrite readings back this theroy up. So my recommendation is to get those under control and keep the water params really good and maybe add a medicated food to ward off any secondary bacterial infections from the burns.

Ok. What kind of food should I use that is cheap? Also, my ammonia hasn't really been high in a long time, and I just noticed this on my Sushi today. Is .25 really enough ammonia to cause burns? The burns on Sashimi turned black around the edges, so I assumed it was ammonia burn. Then the black went away though, and there was not much improvement. I'll do a water change though, and add prime and some salt. Thank you for the advice! :)

You are very welcome.

Yeah ammonia that low can cause it. Any ammonia is bad for them.

As far as cheap medicated food, I don't know what you think is cheap.

The medicated food comes from a internet company called Goldfish Connection. They have 2 different kinds. Medigold and Metromed. The Medigold is a good antibacterial food.

If you can order this I would recommend it. With any medicated food though, you want to feed it a full 10 days, with nothing else being fed to them.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks. My fish don't seem to be improving much as far as the rash-thing, but nitrites are now lowering down. Don't know if that means anything. I'm not really "allowed" to order anything on the internet. Is there any medicated food I could buy in stores, and is there any way other than water changes and waiting that I could get the ammonia down? It was probably actually at zero, the strip just didn't exactly match when I tested, like 0 with a .25 tint, if that makes sense.

Danielle unfortunately there isn't a good medicated food I know of in stores.

Maybe you could have your mom check it out for you on the website. It is worth asking her???

Hang in there and do the water change and hope for the best.

That is good, and you are right it won't hurt to try. If she doesn't buy it for you, the next time you need something for the fish keep that food in mind.

Danielle, I remember Koko had medicated food that she gives in smaller portions to members in need. I'll ask her if she still has some, maybe you can ask your mom if its okay to have it shipped to you, which means that you would have to give your addy to Koko.... :)

Okay, tested ammonia today. It was at zero, but the condition still persists. Is there anything else it could be? Scales missing in large patches, my white fish especially now looks very transparent because of it. If anyone has any info on what this could be, I'd appreciate it. :unsure:

Danielle it may take a couple days for your fish to recover from the ammonia.

Missing scales can be ok, they grow back. Have you noticed her scratching herself or any other problems to cause her to lose them??

No. I've thought about that. She nips at my plastic plants. That's how she spends her time, and she sometimes swims around between them, but that would only account for a few missing scales, and my other common has it too. So no, it can't be her just scraping off scales.

The fish is fine now, but is not completely healed. I've come to the conclusion that the fish has in fact just been swimming around and scraping on things. I safened up the tank a little bit and she is doing a little better, scales are starting to grow back. The fish was never gasping, but I never looked at her gills. How do you do that, because she doesn't open them far enough to see clearly in?

• Admin

you have to gently lift the fish out of the water and take your finger nail and lift every so lightly (the gil plate) with someone else with you and have then shine a light so that you can see the color.....

don't have the fish all the way out of the water I'm sorry, just one side of the fish :D

Archived