Heayayayayaeeeelp! Soo Badly Urgent!

Guest PearlscaleFan

Guest PearlscaleFan

I love all animals, even human beings, well alot less than others but there is still love *Smacks forehead* Lets just cut to the chase, Im having snail problems, I like them, but they are carrying velvet disease and eating my vallis and amazon swords :(

:'( I thught that using an RO unit would soften the water to get rid of the snails and help my fishies live better but the RO water has been cancelling the aquillibrium salt out and I think thats what may have killed my three other platies (they died after the RO unit was set up and running) So one of my babies started acting weird today, I took aout the RO Unit, but it wasnt that that was causing the problems, it was the snails, a couple of hours ago I borrowed a couple of large clown loaches (Obviously before I got the aquilibrium salt in) and they died a couple of hours later after eating a couple snails from the tank.

I was babysitting my cousins guppies , there still fine, but after I "killed" his clowns he took the guppies back :'(

Are there any fishes that will eat the snails?

Baits dont work with these lot, I tried Cucumber, lettuce peas, everything. I need Urgent help!!!

how do you know its the snails? i havent heard of velvet being brought in by them. is that what killed your fish? if its pest snails you have then try salting the tank to .3, that should kill most of them off.

could you fill in the readings and how and when you do water changes. how do you clean the filter too might help.

Guest PearlscaleFan

Well, im not too sure its velvet, but the symtoms to which the clowns were simmilar to it...... I just need them evils out.....

velvet looks like a dusting of spots and very similar in nature to white spot but with smaller spots and sometimes takes a yellow colour. i doubt the pest snails had it pearl, did the signs of it come before or after the clowns were brought in?

Guest squeeker
snail away. by interpet i think should do it.

Only problem with snail-removing chemicals is that they are also hard on your fish and plants.

Also, once the snails are dead (either from salt, RO, or chemicals) you have to realize that your tank will be full of dead, rotting snail carcasses. It's not very good for the water parameters, as the decay will cause a lot of ammonia.

The best way to get rid of snails is to put some blanched lettuce at the bottom of the tank just before you go to bed. Then, set your alarm for 3 or 4 AM... then remove the lettuce, as it will be full of snails, as they are nocturnal.

HTH!

You need to be sure of whats causeing your problems. have never had velvet so dont know that much about it myself i thought it mainly affected fry ?

as said by squeeker if you kill all the snails at once this will poison your water also i'm not fond of snail treatment dont think they even work !!

alot of snails can be a sign of overfeeding so would check on that and all water prams

hope this helps

Guest squeeker

well, think about it. Any chemical that will kill one living being has GOT to be somewhat harmful to others as well... I'm not sure exactly what are in the snail destroying products, but it really makes me nervous. I know for sure it kills plants, as a friend of mine used it. She had no fish deaths, but I wouldn't want to try, just in case!

Archived