Calico Oranda

amonia level:0

nitrate level:?

ph level in tank: 7.0

tap water:7.5

under gravel filter

tap safe added when changing water

fed aquarian goldfish flakes, supa goldfish flakes, blood worms weekly and veggies weekly.

nitrite very high they are over fed so they are on a diet!

about 28 gals running about two months

just under half the water chaged every week

6 fish one four inches the rest two inches im told its over stocked

my oranda is showing symptoms of a swimbladder problem that seems to be ok one minuate and really bad the next. she struggles to swim down and ends up swimming on her side and some days she floats virtically with her head facing the gravel. i have came in the room before to find her floating upside down but she tiurned herself the right way up and swam off when i approached.

has anyone got any ideas on how to treat this? if i buy swimbladder medicine should i seperate her from the others? please help my friend had to have her fish put down because it had a very very bad swim bladder problem and i dont want this to happen to my fish

help! :ill

Guest VxShady

The usual treatment for sbd is not feeding the fish for three days, and then feeding only peas for three days after that. Get frozen peas, and either thaw them out in some tank water, or zap them in the microwave for a few seconds until they're thawed. Peel them, and squish the insides into the tank.

What are the exact readings on your nitrites and nitrates? Nitrates are believed to be a factor in sbd. Generally we try to keep nitrates down below 40, but if you have fish that are particularly susceptible to sbd then try to keep it below 20.

Then again it could not be sbd at all since your tank seems to be "unbalanced." If you could give exact numbers for nitrite and nitrates, that would be a big help.

Me again :-) I really think your problems are because your tank is not cycled yet. Your nitrites were extremely high when you had your water tested yesterday and until you get that under control, your fish will continue to suffer.

As suggested previously, daily water changes are the only thing to get you through this period. Also, you can use salt as I recommended earlier in order to combat the effect of the nitrites. There are also water conditioners on the market to help combat the effect of nitrites (also ammonia, nitrates and heavy metals). Two of them are Prime and Amquel Plus.

I hope this helps, and believe me, once your tank is cycled, things will get better. Also, an UGF is not sufficient in a goldfish tank. You really should buy a power filter, such as an AquaClear, and get that started. The longer you wait, the longer it will take to get the power filter cycled.

I hope all of this helps and please feel free to ask questions :-)

Once you get your tank cycled, things will settle down a bit :)

Goldfish are harder work than most people think, but you are right, they are worth it :exactly

BTW, you probably don't have a nitrate reading yet, since your tank is still cycling.

How are things going today? How is your calico oranda?

well shes now developed a swim bladder problem which i did notice a few days ago before the water was tested but it has got worse. i have now noticed all the fish are swimming at the top is this because ive reduced thier food to one feed a day and one fish (my first ever fish phill :heart ) is always sitting at the bottom although he did do this alot when it was just him and he does like to sleep like it. he sometimes sleeps on the bridge its really funny :lol1 ill try and get a pic pebbles thanx you for your concern :heart

Swimming at the top is a sign of nitrite poisoning. When you water is high in nitrites, it prevents the fish from getting oxygen. This is caused by the nitrite being absorbed by the blood and preventing the blood from carrying oxygen.

Have you been doing water changes to lower the nitrites? I would suggest a big water change of at least 50% to reduce the nitrite asap. If they were my fish, I would change 70% of the water. Also, the salt will help the fish cope with the nitrites, along with a good water conditioner such as Prime or Amquel +. I really don't think your problem is swim bladder.

Nitrites are not something to fool around with. They are deadly to fish :(

i removed the fish today and removed their ornaments and gave their gravel a very good clean i didnt realise how much crap their was the water looked so clean! they are doing well now and they absolutely love their peas. will this be affecting my butterfly loach aswell? thanx for your advice (i have done a water change every day this week except for yesterday because i didnt want to stress them) i hope these levels come down quick fingers croosed :crp

Will you be able to get your water tested again this week? You will then know if your nitrite levels are dropping.

Remember that nitrite in the water is far more stressful to goldfish than water changes. Goldfish actually do quite well with water changes :) Yes, high nitrite will affect your butterfly loach, as well.

If you are trying to establish a bacteria colony in an UGF you shouldn't clean the gravel really well, as you may destroy the beneficial bacteria. I hope you didn't wash your gravel in hot water :(

The best thing for gravel with an UGF is regular gravel vacuums. Vacuum the gravel when you do your water changes. And, I know I sound like a broken record, but you really need to get a power filter on your tank.

i did use the gravel vacume to clean it. i only get a bit of money a week so i had to save up but i should have enough money now and i should be getting it when i get my water tested on saturday :D

Whew! I thought you may have taken the gravel out and washed it in hot water. That would have been bad. Just a really good gravel vac is OK :D

Please let me know how your water tests on Saturday and keep up your water changes.

How do your fish seem today?

BTW, you are a great fishkeeper working so hard to keep your fish healthy :D

well they all seem very well already none of them are gasping at the top anymore and pebbles isnt floating anymore they all had meal of oranges and peas today and they loved it phill had bright green poo. well i have to because my mom didnt want me to have them so im proving to her that they arent boring it took me ages to persuade her to let me get one but now she loves them she even came home with a fish once it was a beautiful chocolate oranda it had finrot but i manged to cure it within three days with interpet anti fungus and finrot treatment number eight! its a shame though because her fins are white where they are growing back.but at least she survived! :D

Great news. It sounds like all of your water changes have done the trick and lowered your nitrite level. If you can get your water checked again, you will be able to see what your nitrite level is. Once you have 0 nitrite and your water starts to show nitrate, then your UGF will be cycled.

Isn't it a great feeling to see your fish feeling better :D

Congratulations for curing the chocolate oranda. They are such pretty fish :D

ive had my water tested again and the levels are:

amonia 0, nitrite 2.0, and ph 7. is this still bad my moor is lying on the bottom alot is this because she doesnt like the water or is it because she has three fish trying to get her to spawn? :)

Yes a nitrite level of 2 is still too high. It should be 0 to have a healthy tank, but you have come a long way in getting it down from 7.

I would do a 50% water change today, and another 50% tomorrow. Then I would try to keep up the water changes all week. If you could do 25% per day, that would be great. Then get your water tested again next weekend. Once your nitrite is at 0 and nitrates start to show, your tank is cycled.

Your moor is most likely lying on the bottom because of the nitrite level. Do your water change asap. The funny thing about fish is that some will react more seriously to things like nitrite and ammonia than others.

Please keep me posted and keep us the good work :D

Guest Morten33

In the mean time, while you are getting the Nitrite level under control I have a suggestion for the fish. My bubbleeye Sofi has chronic swim bladder and I have low nitrites. She just had bad insides I think. But what I have done is changed how I fed her and all my fish. Fast her for 3 days, then feed a mixture of rice/peas. What you do is boil just a small handful of rice, boil it longer than normal (you want it mushy). Then mash up the rice into a past. Add the boiled peas with the shell taken off. Cut the peas up and mash them in real good. I put this mixture into a sealable baggie and keep it in the fridge. This should last you a week. I would feed JUST this mix for two or three days after fasting. Then you can add the regular fish food. I use ProGold pellets and I soak them for a few minutes and mash that up to. Now I feed just a bit of the rice mix and then wait just a few minutes and then feed some of the ProGold. This has been the ONLY thing to help my fish other than having the right water perams. If you decide to try this, let me know if it works for you.

Good luck!

Emily

One thing we musn't lose sight of in the case, is that we have 6 fish in an uncycled 28 gallon tank with only an under gravel filter. Nitrite levels are still at a dangerous level. So, until we get the nitrite under control, we really can't be sure whether the calico is suffering from swim bladder or nitrite poisoning.

It certainly can't hurt to try diet changes, however, keeping up the water changes to control the nitrite is paramount.

Also, saving up for a power filter and another tank or a larger tank is something that will have to be done, as well.

Good luck and please keep me posted on your progress :)

Guest Morten33

Yes I agree, the water conditions are the most important and the first thing that needs to be addressed. The diet is just something else you can do that won't hurt.

Yes, I agree :D

BTW, I am going to try the rice/pea food on my ryukin that has a floating problem. She currently lives on her own so I can give her a special diet.

I'll let you know if the rice/pea mixture works :) Thanks for the suggestion.

Guest mcorkhill

I just want to add quickly to be sure your not over feeding, its so easy to do and is a main cause of constipation and swim bladder problems. Ease off on the food and see your fish swim the right way round, Majic!

Guest blueeyes203

i know this is a late reply, but my oranda was very sick with ich and then started a swim bladder problem. I'm sure the nitrites had something to do with it, but within a couple days the problem was solved and cured. I right away started feeding her 3 pealed, unfrozed peas a day. a turky baster helps b/c they may not want to swim to the food, so i put it right infront of her. it was nothing but peas for about 4 days and she was back to swimming as usual.

Another thing, on the 2nd day, i started feeding her less peas and about 1/2 the amount of fish food i would usually feed. Feedings were just once a day so she wouldn't get too week. diet is a big factor. never feed flakes or crumbles without soaking them 1st...i believe that's how the problem started with spunky, and then i learned the correct way to feed little fishies that like to pick in the gravel. (soaked in a bowl with some tank water + crumbles or crunchies are great for orandas) If you don't soak the crumbles or flakes beforehand, it will expand in their stomach, just like if we were to eat rice or pasta without cooking it.

i hope all goes well with your fish. with the toxic levels so high, i would suggest vacuuming every time you do the water change. I'm trying to keep mine down to and there's a lot of crap down there in the gravel

ive been working really hard on my nitrites and theyre coming down slowly pebbles is now floating on her side and im worried as our college's moor had a bad swim bladder prob and it was upside down it got fungus on its belly and it eventually died(after about three months of fighting it) i hope s/he gets better finger crossed!

Archived