How Many Trops Can I Get...

tinkerbell

depends what you want alice but you can maybe get 8 2 inch adult size fish in it depending on the filtration you have. most internals give x4 turnover which i think is enough for 8. How about a species tank of a type of tetra?

:( I always liked Tiger Barbs......until I got them! :blink: Then I had them for years until they all finally died off. You see them at the Pet Store all small & cute,well,mine got pretty big! I never knew they could get as big as they did.You have to keep a certain amount of them they say,to keep it running smoothe.They picked on other fish til they killed them off,& they picked on each other,until the last Barb was left standing. My tank went from a Tropical tank to a killer Shark tank! :o Even the poor Cory Cats had to be removed to keep them safe. They were the nastiest little fish.I often wondered if they were "Convict" fish in Tiger Barb clothing! :lol: Of course these guys lived for ever it seemed. I actually had them for quite a few years,which is kind of surprising .I know alot of other people have had trouble with them too. And I've also heard a few say they had no problems.That is very hard for me to believe,but hey....You never know....In MPO,Tink,I would look into the Tetra Family or something else.There are alot of more peaceful tropicals that you could enjoy.....As I said,this was only my experience with them. :rolleyes:

er....maybe i wont get those then! i was thinking of getting some nice mollies, and guppies etc. i need some bright, colourful things to liven the place up. i also prefer smaller fish.

im not keen on tetras though, coz i have kept those before, and they turned out o be EXTREEMLY fragile!

thanks for the advice guys, much apreciated.

Hi Tink, I know what you mean about neon tetras being delicate. Something similar to a neon, but hardier, are eldlers, I think they're called. They have some nice colours, too. I will see if I can find a picture . . .

oo! thanks for that guys! endlers are really pretty!! i have never seen them before. i doubt that i would find them in the depths of suffolk though. poo.

i have just got the new heater today, as you suggested Sandy, and i have ordered in some sand, coz i want this tank to be different from my other ones. i have two of my ryukins in there at the moment, whilst i am waiting for it to cycle (obviously heater is not on). also got a little filter in there too.

just got to stock it up now!!

i know someone who lives down the road, and he has lots of preggers guppies and mollies, and he has said that i can have some when theyre born, coz other wise he will be over run! that should save on buying some any way, seeing as tlfs here sells them at ?4.25 EACH!!! jeez.

thanks again!

usually all you have to do, if you want gups or whatever is mix them then have a different strain. such as regular + mutts. instead of full mutts, unless you have the money. feeder gups are extremely hardy.

I know that guppies, platies, and mollies will breed ALL the time and they don't eat their eggs/young. I love them dearly but I try to stay away from them because I will end up with too many. I would recomend tetras for your 12 gallon tank, and since you want something flashy, I think Cardinals might be right for you! They are so fun to watch too. Here is a link:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=895

This site has pretty good info and pictures and stuff so look around, you might find something you like that isn't mentioned on this board. I dunno about buying from tho..

know that guppies, platies, and mollies will breed ALL the time and they don't eat their eggs/young.

all the time, sure, probably once every month because of its 30days or so births. but they dont eat their "eggs" is wrong. they are livebearers, they dont lay eggs. they give live births, and they DO eat their young. what kind of guppies or platys or mollies do you have that they lay eggs and dont eat it.....???

Archived