Question

Guest kalebsmom

Guest kalebsmom

I was wondering what fish can live peacfully together I have 2 Calico Ryukin, 1 blue Oranda and 1 beta in my 55 gallon. Looking to see what else You can keep together (Not for Same tank though thinking of getting another one). Any answers greatly appreciated. :)

Guest kalebsmom

Why not mix?? I have a betta with my goldfish now and they seem to do fine however I was looking to have a tank with no goldfish just not sure what types to get and i don't want saltwater just looking for a hardy, happy, (Maybe not so many issues) kind of fish. :D

I am glad to hear the betta and gf are doing fine together.

Most of the time fish's needs have to be taken into account. For instance we don't recommend gf and bettas for a couple reasons. GF are a cold water fish, they like colder water, while bettas are tropical and like warmer water. To have the best enviornment for both, they can't be housed together.

Also bettas have long fins, something gf like to "nibble" on sometimes.

Even with gf you should be careful. Comets and Commons are not recommended to be with the rounded fancy varieties such as the Oranda or Lionheads because they are much more fast and can "hurt" or "starve" the others because of this.

Bubble eyes and other "eye" breeads are best kept apart from all others because of their eyes. They are much more fragile than most.

So there are reasons behind what is recommended. Koko has a nice thread that talks about what can be in with what.

Bettas also need a carnivorouse diet, while goldies need more vegis....

I have a rubberlip pleco with my goldies, and he's an interesting fellow (even if he doesnt do much)

I like white clouds.... wish i had some space for a few!

ive kept lamp eye tetras with goldies before. I had three of them with a common for three years or so.

I have two bristlenose plecos in with my goldies now, and they can be interesting to watch, even if they arent very colorful.

If you plan on putting the new fish in a seperate tank then the goldies, angelfish are beautiful. ive always loved them.

Archived