Oranda Pineconing+big White Spots On Gills

Guest impellitteri88

Guest impellitteri88

ammo level=0..nitrite=0..nitrate=0..ph 7.2..50gallon tank up and running for a year and a half with fluval404 and a otto 600lph internal filter.There are eight about an inch to 2 inches goldies ranging from ranchu,ryukin to panda moor.One of them an oranda is starting to bloat on the side and scales near gills sticking out.I don't really like the sight of that as i sometimes find scales a lil spine tingling..i dunno...anyway what's worse is that i held him up and open up her gill plates and was shocked to see many round and swollen white spots all over her gills.straight away i did 35%water change...salted the tank and isolate her into a heated hosp tank temp 77F.Salted as well..She doesnt seemed to be getting better after 2 days of salt dip.Just wanna know whether are the spots on gills relevant to dropsy or is it something else.I'm thinking of trying pimafix. Anyone have any idea on what it is??Oh and she's pretty normal..still swimming properly and eating fine as well.

First thing to do is remove the fish to an isolated hospital tank.

My first "guess" is that the fish has a parasite which has led to a bacterial infection.

Do a search on Dactylogyrus aka Gill Flukes as a start and also read up on Ich and Trichodina.

Best of luck.

I am also thinking a parasite here, so maybe using a broad spectrum parasite medication would be a good idea. Perhaps a broad spectrum fungus med as well.

Dont over medicate the fish, but at least with a broadspectrum medication, it will help with the illness until we can pin point exactly whut it is.

Guest impellitteri88

Thanks for the points thought but Sad to say it is dropsy with secondary infection..trichodina and also septicemia.looks like its either tetracyline or antibiotic injection from the vet but i reckon i won't do so.this will cost much more than the fish itself although it is a high quality red and black oranda which i got for a very very good price..nevertheless i'll try my luck with just more salt...higher temp and mayb some medicated food like medi-gold if i can get my hands on em cos for all i know i can't get any medicated food here in Australia cos they're known to be illegal..######...can never seem to overcome dropsy as this is not the first case i've had in 15years.Anyway....cheers...

Guest impellitteri88

Was able to get maracyn 2 from a pharmacist friend without a prescription as i can only get it from the vets here in Australia but too bad my oranda which i thought is getting better as the swelling sort of went down but before i was able to treat it, it was gone....man..that's too bad after going through the hassle of getting the medications..Anyway the lfs here sucks big time...only couple line of meds that treats only external diseases...sheesh..and alot of em bullshit their way through..thanks for the replies though...

Archived