Strange Behaviour

Guest Twinkle

Guest Twinkle

Hi

Im new to the board and quite new to keeping goldfish. I got them for my children who have them at school.

We have 3 goldfish in an adequate tank with all the trimmings. The fish have always seemed happy and content.

However over the last couple of days two of the fish seem to be 'latched' on the other. Where ever he swims they are constanly stuck by him. One is at his side and the other, pardon me for this, seems to be at his 'bum'. I dont know why they are doing this. If anyone can fill me in on this i will be more than grateful. I do tend to worry alot and the children seem to think they are hurting it. Please help!!

Thankyou

T

I'm new to keeping goldies too, but if I'm not mistaken, it sounds like breeding behavior. :heart

My goldies tend to bump each other along and even nip at times. I think there is a pinned video of goldfish breeding behavior in the Breeding section of the forum, maybe that's what your fish are doing? :)

However, I am still a newbie, so I'm sure someone more experienced will see your note. :exactly

Guest Twinkle
Thank you so much Eatbubbles. Just looked at the video and this is  :exactly   what they are doing.  :D

Thanks again

T

318984[/snapback]

Yeah maybe I should lol

Podgy my tank is 10 gal...is this big enough. We do wanna go bigger in the next couple of month tho.

Guest Twinkle

Hi podgy

Sorry that was meant to say 30 gal not 10, just realised what I put. :rolleyes: They are double tailed fish. I think there is a bit of a difference too isnt there between US gal and UK gal. Not sure which is the biggest. When we got the tank etc, we bought it from a large fish and supplies company here in the uk, they said it was ample for what we needed. Then we went back a few days later for the fish. They give us hours and hours of pleasure, just watching them and the kids love them to pieces. They are called Fi-fi, Finn and Nelson. They really are :slicedbread

:fishtank:

T

Guest Twinkle
Hi twinkle and  :welcome

Your fish sound lovely :D Looking forward to see pics of them :exactly

Are you gonna raise the frys if they lay eggs? :unsure:

319456[/snapback]

:unsure: Raise the frys?? Cor blimey ...ermm u got me there. Please dont tell me they are gonna have babies, I really wouldnt know wot to do. Panic stuck now. Im new to all this.

T

Guest Twinkle
Don't worry because if you don't know how to take care of the babies, there parents and other fishs in there will eat them before they hatch or after.

319946[/snapback]

:o:o Oh no, thats so not nice!!! :crying:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Twinkle

Hi again

Sorry to bring this post back up, but being pretty new to this Im still concerned about wots happening here. I know understand wots going on, but the two fish will not leave her alone. She seems so stressed and tired. Should I moved her or the two other fish? How long does this behaviour last for? I know its nature but it sometimes breaks my heart to see her being chased like this. It is constant . After i posted on here it seemed to quieten down, now its all day and night. Please advise me cos i dont know wot to do.

T

:fishtank:

It sounds like you might wanna separate them, to give the poor girl a break. I know that you can get dividers for the tank, or you can buy a plastic basket to float in the tank to give the girl a lil space of her own..

There should be some more suggestions coming soon, though :krazy::)

Archived