The Log Of Doom

Guest mcorkhill

Guest mcorkhill

Hello, My Oranda managed to swim into the log thing in my tank, wedging himself in. After about half an hour of pushing, poking and twisting he came out looking a little battered but alive. What I want to know is... will he ever go back to his magnificent self again? or will i have to start calling him tramp?

He has scales missing, his dorsal fin has a gap in the middle and his right pelvic fin looks like it has been broken as it is no longer straight and has a lump where the break is. His caudal fin looks a little scruffy too. Apart form that he is eating and swimming fine.

Ive wedged something into the log now so they wont be swimming in it again, i hope.

Thanks for any advice

Matthew

I'm new to keeping goldies, so I'm not sure what the rate of healing is for fins.. though I'm sure someone will come along who knows what they're talking about ;)

Gerard was a name my sister had for him. ?? I'm not sure where she came up with it, though a football background would make sense, seeing's how he barrelled around the tank trying to tackle unsuspecting tankmates :exactly:heart

I am sorry to hear what happened, what a situation he got himself in.

If you can test his water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and Ph will help. We know that keeping the water quality as good as possible will help in healing.

If you are unsure of any of this post back with the info and we can help you.

It may take a while and his fins could be permently damaged, but time will tell.

Ive had expeirience with a broken fin, and it will heal. Depending on how bad the break is, it may or may not look normal or it may or may not be fully functioning.

My fantail tried to swim through a tank divider and ended ip with her pectoral fin bone completely severed, only hanging on by the 'flap' part of the fin, for lack of a correct term. It regrew itself, and the broken bit fell off. It looked completely normal after about 4 weeks.

Since you say he only has a bump where the break is, Id say that bump could be evident for a while, but he will be normal. As for the tear in the fin, that heals very quickly. During breeding my big fantail gets her tail torn to shreds, and in a few days its barely noticable.

Good Luck with your fish. I hope he gets better soon!

Guest mcorkhill

Thats brilliant news, in fact hes starting to look quite good with a sort of reverse mohekan (cant spell) :crp

Thank you all for your words of support for poor Fish he likes it alot.

Matthew

(Fish fancier and all round good bloke) :D

Archived