Filters

Guest JKLBP

Guest JKLBP

I have a 39 gallon - tall tank. (footprint of a 29 gal.) Right now we only have a Fluval canister filter for up to 70 gallons. We have to add another filter. I purchased a TopFin Power Filter 60 -hangs on the back type- to add the extra filtration needed. Before I hook it up I would like to hear what anyone has to say on this filter. Does the Brand of the filter matter much as long as it moves enough gallons per hour?

I would also like to suggest that more people talk about the necessary gallons per hour filtration needed for goldfish. I have had orandas for a few years now and only the last year have I ran into any problems. Through various websites I fianlly read that they need at least 10 times the size of the tank in gallons filtered per hour. So my 39 gal tank needs 390 gallons per hour filtration. Our fluval for up to 70 gals only filters 185 GPH so we are way too far below what is necessary. We thought that if we got a filter meant for a much larger tank that we would be okay. Now we know better.

Thanks!

to be completely honest, top fin filters suck. I have never had luck with them, and they have an incredibly small area for bio-balls, etc. theyre made for use only iwth carbon and the fuzzy white stuff. no room for bio-media, low GPH, clogs alot, etc...dont waste your time!

I've only used Penguin/Eclipse BioWheel filters. I've only heard good things about them, except for the freshwater 'expert' at my LFS who says that they 'just get ugly deposits on them'... which I don't care about, as long as they WORK! :) (besides, I'm not listening to that LFS anymore, that's another story!)

:lol:

Guest JKLBP

thanks for the input. we are going to go a different route all together. I will be returning the Topfin. We opted to spend the money and buy a large Magnum 350 canister filter and do undergravel as well-- hooked up to our fluval canister for suction. Now there will be 535 gallons per hour filtration. I really hope this takes care of the problem. We only have 2 fish in the tank. One oranda (5 inches) and one black moor (3 inches). Thanks all!

Archived