Orawanda's Deteriorating Wen

Guest askmeeh

Guest askmeeh

I am new at this site and i really dont know how this works yet but im just really desperate. I have this oranda for almost a year now (he was still very tiny when i got him) and about three weeks ago it started having this white specs all over its wen. I figured it was ich because he was showing all the signs for ich..before the treatment, he would just stay in one corner and seems to be really sick...I treated it with Ich Away for a a week.. Afterwards, the white specs became brown to black and they seem to be flaking away. Now his wen seems to be deteriorating. I isolated him from the other three of my gold fishes because I didnt want them to be infected too. Now he eats and swims like normal but im really worried about his wen. It looks like its gonna separate from its head. I dont know what to do..I feel really bad for the little fella..I tried putting him back with the other three goldfish but they would chase after his deteriorating wen and snacks off it..It looks really bad...

Hi there and :welcome

I'm sorry to hear about your orandas wen. This is most unfortunate but you might still be able to get it under control......

Is the tank that he is in cycled? are you testing the water everyday? These two things are very important in making sure that his water is immaculately clean. Wich is exactly what he is going to need if he stands any chance at recovery.

Ok, try answering each and every question from the white box at the top of this page. Be as specific as you can. Also, when it asks you something about the tank, reply for each tank. And answer these two questions as well:

Filter brand name and size?

How do you maintain the filter (cleaning and whatnot)?

With this information provided to us, we will be much better equipped to help you diagnose and treat your oranda. good luck and post back soon. :unsure:

Paul

Guest askmeeh

Info on his new environment: He's alone in the hospital tank right now (5 gallon...Is this too small? He's only about 5-inch long). There's nothing in the tank right now except for air supply.I had to take out the carbon filter because I added tetracyclin tablet... I just replaced the water today with pure drinking water..I didnt put any conditioner..i never use any conditioner, actually since I dont use tap water( should I start using conditioner? if so what would be the best to use?)...I feed him wardley goldfish premium flakes..I just added half tablet of Mardel tetracycline because he's starting to show signs of gill disease...Most of the time, he's in the corner of the tank...Now he seems to ignore food..

Info on his old environment: Before he got sick he was with three other gold fish (bubble-eye, comons, another younger oranda (each are about 4-in long or smaller) in 15 gallon tank...For this tank ( been running for more than a year now)I also use pure drinking water and change half of the water and the filter every two weeks...I vacuum and change about 80% of water every month...I feed all of them the same gold fish premium flakes...Commons was the first one to show signs of Ich but i caught it early enough and now he's doing great..I guess my oranda who is now sick also got infected...Unfortunately, I was on vacation for two weeks and did not catch it on time...I treated him with Ich Away( the same one I used for the other fish) as soon as I found out and now he seems to be getting worst...Im really not used to fish this sick..and i dont know what to do...

I am sorry to hear about your fish.

Whether or not to treat all the fish, hmmm the hospital tank is small, and without a filter you will have to do daily water changes.

I am not sure what could be going on but I have a few thoughts on some things you should do.

Always use a water conditioner. Every time you change your water. Or you have to leave the water sit over night to get rid of chlorine and other bad stuff.

I would probably put him back in the tank and treat everyone. I would salt to a 0.3%, if you don't know how to do this let us know and we can guide you.

Get the water params perfect and see what happens.

Ich can be gotten rid of with just salt and warmer temps.

Guest askmeeh

Thanks for the replies...I placed a new filter without the activated carbon, just the sponge ( is that good enough?)....I can't put him back with the other fish just yet because they chase after him and eats off his wen..his wen is flaking off..the other fishes think its food...anyway..I think I want to wait until his wen is healed before I put him back in...he's eating now, so that good news...Im still worried about his wen..I dont know if it will ever grow back to its normal self...I tried adding Melafix to the water but I heard that only protects the wounds and not really help in tissue formation..Is there anything out there that promotes tissue formation? Also..he still has a lot of wounds on his wen..Im not sure if its safe to do a salt dip...any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks a lot guys..

I am not too sure what to do next. This problem is new to me.

My opinion would be to put him on a medicated food for 10 days and keep his water params pristine with no problems and wait it out.

I am sure another member may have more info sometime soon.

Medicated food is a great start. But you need to get him to the point that he is eating again...... ;)

Okay, it seems that you have some reading to do. Below are some links that will explain everything that I am going to tell you:

cycling tanks/filters

keeping goldfish (by Emmahj)

Ok, from reading those two links, I think you will agree that you might need to do a little spiffing up of your goldies home. Upsizing the tank and filtration should be done as soon as we get your sick one better. For future refference, your waterchanges need to be done much more frequently, 25% a week is the minimum.

Yes, you can use your tapwater as long as you use a dechlorinator (Prime is the best in my opinion). In fact, it is advisable to do just that. However, becasue the pH of yur tapwater and the pH of the water you purchase might be different, you need to do many small waterchanges throughout the day. 10% every hour for 4-6 hours should be good.

Off the top, you should put your sick one back into the tank. But, only after you do a good, large waterchange with the same water you have been using. Once thats done, you can add him back. After that is done, perform 25 % waterchanges every day until you can get the dechlorinator and start with the water switchover.

Follow me so far?

Discontinue the medications as of now.

You are going to need test kits for ammonia, nitrItes, nitrAtes pH and kH. You will also need dechlorinator. You will also need to get some aquarium salt, buy a quart of it to start with, its gonna go fast............

Okay, the filter on your 15 gallon, what is the name and size?

Post back soon.

Guest impellitteri88

big guys all in a 15 gallon its a lil small unless feedings are twice in three days..rotting wen sounds like fungus are eating his away the bacteria in his headgrowth and i've seen many with really rotten heads and some loses the headgrowth..just the same philosophy as everyone else...water testing...water change..3% salt...warmer temp..stop medication...start monitoring...just make sure not too much chemicals are involved..mayb just some stress zyme..age the water overnight for water changes...fishes act accordingly to water chemistry so a clean tank usually promotes peace...other fishes will peck at his head but i think it's only for a while...it's the survival of fittest anyway..just a thought or two...cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Archived