Yellowish Color Tank Water

Guest Morten33

Guest Morten33

Hi everyone!

I have a 10gal tank that is mostly barebottom with just a handful of gravel in one corner. I also have live plants in glass containers and a piece of real drift wood. (put the wood in before I heard it was a bad idea, but it seems not to have done any harm) I also have a few small rocks and one larger rock that holds down the bubble-stone. I do water changes every 6 to 8 days. When I do this, usually take everything out of the tank and scrub it good, and clean off any algae off all except the back wall of the tank. The algae that grows is a green algae.

I have started noticing that a few days before I do a water change the water gets like a yellowish color...almost looks like pee in toilet water :blink: ( i'm sorry to be so gross) The water perams are within normal range and are at this range every time I check. Sometimes the Buffer & PH is a little lower but not by much.

Nitrate - 20

Nitrite - .1

Hardness - 120

Alk/Buffer - 100 (usually 120 - 160)

PH - 7.3 (usually 7.7 - 8.0)

So does anyone have any ideas on why the color gets yucky? Any suggestions/advice would be great! Thanks!

Emily

Guest VxShady

It might be some of the rocks or the driftwood. Some times they leach stuff into the water. Where did the rocks come from? Are they actually ones sold as being safe for aquariums or are they ones you found and put in there?

Archived