Sick Fish

Guest kalebsmom

Guest kalebsmom

Ammonia Level = 0

Nitrate Level = 0

PH level = 7

Water Temp = 75

55 Gallon Tank 4 fish, 2 calico Runkyn (sorry about the spelling), 1 blue oranda, one Beta, all about 3 inches with tail, whisper filter, tank set up for about 10 months, recently lost Pleco not sure why? feed flakes and peas and freezedried brine shrimp, not sure of sexes, change water every two weeks and clean gravel about 20 gallons, only use aquarium salt.

1 of My calico is just sitting at the bottom of the tank seems to be having trouble returning to top when she (?) tries to. Not sure if she (?) is constipated or maybe holding eggs???? Need help don't want to lose another fish lost pleco about 1 month ago hard on the kids!!!!! Any help would be appreciated. This started yesterday April 22 in the morning found her there changed water on Tuesday about 20 gallons cleaned gravel and sides of tank because had a recent rash of brown colored algea. What do I do?

Not sure on Nitrite level no test in my kit for that!!!

Sorry to hear about your pleco. An FYI they don't do well with salt, they are very sensitive and that may have been a factor. I killed one of mine with salt. It was very sad.

I am not sure which test you say you don't have, at the top you say the nitrites are 0, but then you say you don't have a test for them. I am assuming nitrates are one of those, but which one???? This will help us if you can tell us.

Sitting on the bottom is never a good sign so we'll have to try and pin point what is going on. WHat has he/she been like lately? Can you try and determine the sex of the fish? This is a tremendous help.

Since the first thing we think of it constipation, fasting the fish for a couple days is a good place to start. Then follow with frozen peas (thawed of course) deshelled and cut into bite size pieces. This would be a good place to start.

Post back soon, oh yeah, which ever test you don't have I would strongly recommend getting it, this is very important. Monitoring them is essential in this hobby.

Guest kalebsmom

Thanks Lauri I dont have the Nitrite Test I have the Nitrate sorry about the screw up I will be getting one though hopefully tonight. Anyway Speckles MY Calico was fine before this sweetest fish in the world ate great. I started fasting today so i wont be feeding. Not sure how to sex my fish i've tried before but its so hard to tell any reccomendations would be great.

Well it can be hard, especially when they are little. How big are yours?

Look at the anus, girls have "outies" and boy have "innies" sorta like belly buttons.........outies and innies. Make sense?

Also boys when sexually mature can have small white dots along their pectoral fins when "ready" for mating. These dots can go up along the gills as well. It is hard to see those on calicos though.

I would do an 30% water change, if the nitrates are high that can make them ill.

Guest kalebsmom

Thank you again

To Recap (because I screwed up)

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

PH = 7

Nitrate = 5 mg/L (Is this high enough to make my fish sick I know it should be 0)

Looked at the anus area (at least where I think it should be) I didnt see an outie of anysort so I think (Think being the operative word) that shes a girl.

Im going to do a water change as you suggested and add Salt.

Will Keep progress posted!

Any other thoughts are appreciated

Ok your water is good. Nitrates are suppose to be between 5-20. Anything higher than 20 and problems can occur, so I would only do a small water change of maybe 10%.

Ammonia, nitrites should always be 0, but the nitrates have to be present for the bio cycle to be in place.

Now, since I don't think your water is doing it, it could be something else. Let me think..........

Oh by the way girls have "outies" boys "innies"-----the opposite of humans.... ;)

I would probably fast for a couple days, 2 maybe and then feed the peas. This will help to "flush" out the fish. Maybe constipation is in play, maybe????

Feeding peas you want to use frozen, thaw them and de shell them and cut them up into bites for the fish.

Keep us posted as to what is going on.

Guest kalebsmom

Okay did a 30% water change and added biocoat should I add salt too or will it hurt my beta added salt before didnt bother him but now ive read that salt is bad for betas.

Dawn

2- Calicos

1- blue oranda

1- beta

Hope everything gets better really worried :cry1

Bettas like salt, some betta breeders keep a low salt percentage with their fish at all times, which I personally don't agree on, since it can build up salt resistant parasites.

But yes, adding salt doesn't hurt the betta. :)

Guest impellitteri88

bettas and goldfish??is the tank heated??goldfish dont really do well with tropical fishes and they sometimes enjoy low temp....you mentioned that there were brown algae in the tank which means that nitrite used to be high before water change which is mainly caused by overfeeding..what kind of food do you feed them??hikari usually causes brown algae growth...oh also try to provide more aeration in the tank...and lastly constipation can be cured by fasting...vegetarian diet...peas..spirulina...iceberg lettuce...it works as well for humans:)..just a thought or two....cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Archived