How Old To Breed?

fishies12

My very big male has lots of breeding stars! But unfortuantly for him all of the girls are 10 months old! He is still chasing them and eveything. I am a bit worried he will stress the little guys out! :krazy: But because the other fish are so little they can easily get away from so I am to worried. But i was just wondering how old do they have to breed? And is there any risk or anything if they breed when really young (like with mammals)

Thanks!

The only risk is that the females get extremely tired out from the chasing, and a tired fish is stressed, which means they can be suspectable to illness.

If the male is so bad after the girls, why not get a cheap plastic container with tons of holes in it - you can get that at nnnnnn or any dollar store. Its in the kitchen section under "organizing". The container floats, and through the holes the fish will get all the benefits of the filtration, while the females have their peace.... :)

As to how old they have to be for breeding, 10 month old females are a bit young. If you had them for 10 months, that can mean they could be older than that, but if you know exactly when they were born, and it was 10 months ago, thats a different story. If they are older because they were kept someplace else before you got them, they might be ready for breeding.

Do they get rounder in appearance lately?

This week, I have been trying to collect eggs from a tank of orandas which are 11 months old. They are still too young to produce any meaningful numbers - maybe 20-30 eggs per spawn. Their two-year-old parents make several hundred eggs per spawn.

Yeah, isn't it fun to watch over 100s of eggs with each spawn? :lol:

Bekko, you from Hawaii? Hakipu'u is a town someplace on Hawaii, if my memory doesn't fail me! :heart

Not a town, a ahupua'a, which is a section of the land from the mountain to the sea that contained nearly all the resources the original Hawaiians required for survival. The closest town is Kaneohe.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, you live in one of the most beautiful places on earth! :heart I always wanted to see Hawaii, but I can be without the tourists. If I wonna see tourists, I might as well stay home (Orlando, Florida :rolleyes: )

Kaneohe is north and east of Honolulu, is it not? So much closer to China, how are the resources on goldfish? I know the mainland US importers do not ship to Hawaii, but I could imagine you guys getting nice fish too.

Archived