It's A Small World ... I Met A Koko's Mbr

Fishmerised

Today I went shopping with Mum at her local mall, 40kms from my place. As usual I did the mandatory inspection of the pet shop. I was immediately impressed because front 'n centre of the store was a 60g(?) tank with goldies in it. There were 2 celestials, panda moore, chocolate crowned ranchu, pearlscale and the best orange oranda I have ever seen.

Upon further inspection I noticed not a bowl in sight (except for bettas) and hardly a tropical fish either. There were 3 large divided tanks devoted to goldies, not the usual selection of commons/comets (no offence, I luv 'em too) but a selective variety of small fancies.

As I was admiring them the assistant offered to help and we started to chat, he was giving me information on cycling, pH, food, etc - and I hadn't even bought a fish yet. I ended up purchasing two small fish, a calico butterfly telescope whom we named Pirate Pete and a darling little calico ruykin with a chocolate tail! (as yet unnamed).

He was telling me how he had two ponds and several tanks where he took sick fish home to fix them up. I thought this was pretty amazing for a pet shop and told him so, then I told him some of my goldfish history and Koko's was mentioned. Well, you know the punchline, he's a member too! What a lark.

Talk about a small world - how many aussie members do we have here?

my sister's boy friends family is from australia....they are practically family to us because the yougest one, my age, threw up on our couch. :D we have become really good friends with them but they are moving back to australia in june :cry1

I live up on Collaroy Plateau but know the petshot you're talking about. One of my best friends lives at Carlingford so have gone shopping to Carlingford Court many times :D

St Marys? I'm often at Werrington - as my aunt lives there. That's virtually right next door :D

Where abouts in Australia BM? And yeah, it's amazing how a good upchuck on the sofa can bring people closer together :lol::lol: A neighbour of ours many moons ago also threw up on our couch and it's funny how she became one of the family afterwards :D

Hey, like I said ... it's a small world. Perhaps we have even crossed paths at a pet store?

While you're in Werrington check out Wet 'n Dry Pets on the highway at Kingswood, it's the suburb next to Werrington. They have a great selection of marines, tropicals AND goldies, it's one of the best fish shops in the west.

You lucky thing, wish I lived at Collaroy Plateau, bet you have a great suntan! :lol:

The only reason i have a bit of a tan is because my mum's spanish :D

I do go surfing a bit but end up looking like the creature from the black lagoon - covered head to toe in maximum blockout. Makes staying on my board a real challenge :D

I'll check out Wet 'n Dry next week when i go visit my aunt.... i can see it now, if there's any women in the store i'm going to look at them and say "Annette?" :rofl (and i'm not kidding)

Where abouts in Australia BM? And yeah, it's amazing how a good upchuck on the sofa can bring people closer together  :lol:   :lol: A neighbour of ours many moons ago also threw up on our couch and it's funny how she became one of the family afterwards  :D

318506[/snapback]

I must remember that hint next time I want to get friendly. :rofl

I usually take the boys when I go to Wet 'n Dry. Honestly, it's like going to marineland or something - and it's free to look! So, if you see someone with a couple of 9yr olds in tow and a little one in a pram ...

You are really making me jealous with all this talk of surfing. For those who don't know, Collaroy Beach is one of the best beaches in Sydney. Don't you get scared of sharks?

The only time i'll become scared of sharks is when i come face to face with one who wants to chomp on me :) My brother has encountered a couple of grey nurses out at Long Reef though. I was there that day and you've never seen anyone paddle back to shore so fast :D

No - I don't go surfing where the big boys do - the younger ones tend to get a bit aggro especially if you catch what should've been their wave :lol:

thats crazy ! scary, you must have been :o when you realised the koko conection ;)

318554[/snapback]

It wasn't scary, it was fun. We could have chatted for hours but the store was busy and people needed assistance. It's just like being on forum face-to-face, how many opportunities do you get to talk to someone who loves goldfish as much as you do? He even said it was his choice not to stock many tropicals, "give me goldfish anyday", he said.

I'm not very good with math but consider this, we have maybe a dozen or so aussie members on Kokos and a population of 20 million. What are the odds?

for some reason... as I read this post I'm reading it in my head with an Austrailian accent. hehe.

I love the austrailian accent!

Barb

318549[/snapback]

Gee, and I'm doing my best to use american euthanisms such as "mall" and "store" and "gallons". We call them shopping centres, shops, and litres. :D

Gee, and I'm doing my best to use american euthanisms such as "mall" and "store" and "gallons".  We call them shopping centres, shops, and litres.  :D

318831[/snapback]

:tomuch: me too! us Uk'ers use shopping centres, shops, and litres!

:lol:

Annette, that is simply wonderful! Small world is right! And what a great fish department too.

I live in the same town as jsrtist--in fact I met her (she works at a pet store in the fish dept) around the same time that I found Kokos. I had an 8 year old common goldfish who was dying and I was trying to get help--I called her pet store and someone put jsrtist on the phone since she was the goldfish expert. I had been checking out info online and had found Kokos at the same time.

We are everywhere!!! (kokos members!) :exactly

:heart

I'm up in Brisbane if anyone is up here too :) Or know of any good pet/fish shops around, they seem to be quite lacking on the northside....

Oh and its ANZAC day today.... lest we forget... My pop went to Tobruk, although he didn't die in action, he died only a few years after from cancer... i never knew him.

Annette, how awesome. I think we are everywhere, or should be for that matter.

And Barbra I was doing the same thing...........reading with the accent. I love it too!!!

Archived