Why

mr fish

Hey, my tank was getting a bit boring so i had a rearange! nothing major, i just threw out some ragady water grass that was all but dead and swapped the rock and the ship around! it looks so much better. my two plants though did not move! However after this my fish have taken huge interest in eating the java fern! how can i stop this?

Hi,

I have given up on live plants--my goldies even ate the ones that they are not supposed to like. :huh:

So, I have some fake plants. :)

I am sure that someone else has a suggestion. Live plants certainly look better.

I do not know how to stop it particularly, but I have noticed that they may not be eating them - they may be playing with the plants.

Some goldies enjoy shredding leaves to eat them and will, in turn, shred any plant that is in the tank, whether or not they like to eat them. They seem to take pleasure in the activity, and will, in turn, teach this "trick" to any other goldie that happens to be in the same area watching.

Once it is learned, I have never been able to get them to "un-learn" it. :(

• Admin

I have 4 out of my 9 goldfish that would rip any plant to shreds except Anubis plants. goldfish are omnivores and will eat anything Hun so I don't think there is a way to not get them to do this.....Just depends on the fish them selfs :D

Archived