Black Moor Turning Orange?

Guest JessicaLynn

Guest JessicaLynn

I don't have any kind of kit to test the water unfortunately. I'm totally new at this, I've had the fish for a couple weeks. I'm feeding them Nutrafin, there's two fish and one snail. They're in a 1 gallon tank (I realize this is quite crowded, it was a gift). I've been doing a 30% water change once a week, and using a fungus eliminator because my black moor had fin rot when I got it. It seemed to improve immediately though. Now it's been a bit lethargic the last couple of days, and it's turning an irridescent orange colour. It started off as little orange specks on it's side, now the colour is everywhere except the fins and it shows most on its belly. I've read that colour change can be a genetic trait. The fish only has one eye, is it possible that it's just genetically like this? Or could it have something to do with the other fish (a comet perhaps?) always nudging and bugging it?

:) Hi JessicaLynn Welcome! A one gal. tank is barely enough for a Betta ,let alone two goldfish and a snail I'm afraid.Are you using any kind of filter or airstone in the tank? How big are the fish? I wouldn't worry about the color change right now.I would be more worried about doing water changes more often.I doubt that 30% once a week is enough. I think I would personally be doing 100% water changes every other day or so.Goldies grow quite large,and they're very dirty fish.Recommended tank size is at least ten gal. per fish. If the goldfish are very small,you could get away with a ten gal. tank,but know this- that also would have to be upgraded at some point too. They need a good filter & an airstone for extra circulation. I think your fish is lethargic because of the water quality.Do you have something to treat water for chlorine/chloramines ,etc? Clean water will most of the time help with finrot also-without even using a medication. You will also need a water testing kit so that you are aware of ammonia/nitrites/NitrAtes/PH,etc. Try the water change,and make sure to match the tank water temp as close as you can. Post back soon. :)

Archived