White Cottony Fungus?

Kissy

My boyfriend and I just went to a carnival that my old elementary school hosts every year (its special to us because two years ago there he gave me our first kiss), and the had the old throw the ping pong ball in the goldfish cup and win the gold fish. I just couldn't resist once I saw them ._. So my extremely patient and understanding boyfriend waited in line with me. By the time I got up there they had taken the goldfish out and put them back in the cooler beause they figured out the goldfish got hurt when a ball was hurled at their head. I got one too! :newfish I rescued a 2 1/2" comet and I named him the oh so original name 'Lucky' :) I've never had a commet before. I got so mad tho..the family in from of my got like three and the mom asked the lady who was running the booth "do these goldfish need a tank or can they just live in a bowl?" Lady: "They live in bowls." GAHHHHHHHHHHHH DIE STUPID LADY!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to kill her I swear. My boyfriend had to like restrain me. So anyways, I think he may be sick.

He's got a small, white, cottony funguslike thing attatched to his pectoral fin. :( I don't know what it is. He seems very healthy besides that tho, and is very active in his little cup. I tested everything in the water he came in and the conditions look good. He probly came from a feeder tank as most carnival fish do, so its understandable that he is sick. I haven't put him in the tank yet. What is this growth and how can I fix it? Will salt work? How much and what kind? I have two black neon tetras in the tank also (rescues) and I heard that they are sensitive to too much salt. Is this true? Will this fungus hurt the tetras if I put him in the tank with them? What should I do? Should I stop asking questions and just trust that you guys will help me? Or should I sound a bit more desperate? lol :P

Thanks for your help in advance :)

I'm thinking it's quarantine time for fishy, CONGRATS ON NEW FISH btw!... though I'm still low in the learning curve :blink: I'm sure someone will come along shortly who knows what they're talking about :bounce

Lucky is an awesome name for a rescued baby!

(goldfish live in bowls.. skdadfoiwoksd!!) :thud

Hi Kissy and way to go :D

The first thing you could do to help this guy is get him into something bigger than a cup - a bucket maybe? Also without any filtration, you will need to do 100% waterchanges daily using a dechlorinator and matching both the temperature and ph. Are you able to add any aeration for him?

It sounds like a spot of fungus and the probable cause could be poor water conditions or possibly hurting himself causing a small open wound. The way he came to you - well it's anyone's guess but my money's on both.

I'd also try salting to 0.1% (1tsp per gallon) then raising it to 0.3% by repeating 0.1% twice again - 12hrs apart but if you notice it getting worse then you may need to use formalin, malachite green, E.M. tablets or fungus cure to name but a few....

Comets, like koi, need more room than fancies - so what are your plans for him? How big is your tank? Oh and how big is Lucky?

Hope this helps some... :)

Currently Lucky is in a bucket, and stayed their overnight. I don't have any sort of flitration or aeration to help him. Would an air stone work?

I will do 100% water changes then. I don't have a dechlorinator anymore...the one I had I returned cuz it stunk up my room horribly and my mom/lady at vvvv told me a I actually didn't need one because our house has a filter/softener that removes chlorine and other stuff. I'm hoping this is true? pH is going to be a tough thing to match..I just got down my tank at a good level and it took a ton of work and sulfuric acid, (I put the tetras back in last night..they are SOOOOO happy to be back home :P ) but I'll try my best. I'll do the salt treatment too. Is iodized salt okay or do I need to go buy something special?

Also, I only have a ten gallon tank. He'll share it with two little bleack neon tetras. Is this not enough room? Lucky is 2 inches long. How fast will he grow and when will I need to get him something bigger? (if he needs it) I don't have enough money to go buy another tank..plus the filter, gravel, plants, etc and I'll probly need a stand too. 20 dollar a month isn't covering a new aquarium. I just applied for my first job (probly minimum wage lol) and so I'll probly start working soon if I get it or another job, so I'll be able to make money.

Hi Kissy - firstly on the salt. Iodised salt will not hurt your fish. It was thought it could hurt the filter but there's been some testing of this theory which has proved false. Now any salt containing YPS (yellow prussate of sodium) is bad so should be avoided.

Yes - adding an airstone will help :D

For now your 10 gal will do fine - it may reduce the rate of growth but we can cross that bridge later - let's get him healthy first :) . So add the salt and if you like, try a couple of salt baths - at 0.6%. You can do this in a 1/4 gal bowl adding 1.5tsp of salt. Leave him in there for about 10 mins (keeping a close eye on his reaction) then put him back in the (salted to 0.1%) bucket. Try this method first and see if there's any improvement over the next day or 2...

Will this fungus kill your fish? It shouldn't - so keeping his water pristine and salted should show some improvement. And i think you know - matching ph is essential otherwise the news may not be so good.

I'm not sure about your filter/softener.... hopefully this does dechlorinate the water - as that's essential also. Does your tap filter come with instructions? They usually tell you what chemicals it takes out of the water.

I hope this helps a little and fingers crossed :D

Well I went off and bought some non iodized salt cuz I didn't get your reply til later. No biggie, it was only 49 cents :) But gah I went to the petstore and the lady was being all stupid and trying to sell me everything. She didn't know anything about fish either. And then when she found out it was a carnival fish, she was like "oh...it will probably die then. They go thru a lot of stress comming from the hatchery and then here in our feeder tank, and then the carnival. I wouldn't put too much effort into saving it" GRR! yah I know he doesn't have a good chance, but I have this thing about giving my full effort to helping animals (so far its ranged from fish, pigeons, cats, dogs, every insect that enters the house, and a baby groundhog) and I don't avoid getting attatched. But I still hope Lucky doesn't die.

Anyway, I'm going to do a a salt bath tonight. But only if I get this one more question answered. (yah I know, I'm full of questions...I just want to save my fish for once) What are some signs I should look for if I need to take Lucky out of the bath?

:angry: Don't put too much effort into it?!?!

That sounds like the LFS I trusted for ich treatment on my fish, who are now half dead (literally and figuratively) because they gave me a banned chemical to treat my fish with, and then when I called them to say that I had doubts about what they had given me to treat the fish with, they said "well, if you have any doubts, obviously don't use the treatment. I mean, it's either you or your fish, and that's an easy one. I don't know what to tell you."

IOWEJAIEWJALKDELJFWA!!!

I overheard the local mmm aquatic worker telling someone "well, that's life, a lot of these fish die in these tanks, it's just that some are weaker bla bla bla.."

:wa

Hi kissy - and good on you. Lucky has a very good chance so don't think otherwise. I've had fish almost die from fish lice, to cotton mouth, to chilodinella etc. and they've pulled through. I actually have a little moor who has some fungus on his caudal fin and am about to dip him also - so same boat :D

With the salt dip -at the solution i mentioned, you may not see anything - it's when you intensify the salt solution that your fish may start to roll over - then it's time to get him out - tho stick to the 1.5tsp per 1/4 gallon. Although If you see this, don't worry, they bounce back once you put them back in their tank....

Let us know how you get on :D

I just gave Lucky the salt bath. He was kind of freaking out the whole ten minutes, and then when I put him back he just laid on a plant leaf for almost another ten minutes breathing very quickly. I was very worried, and freaking out like he was :( Now he is fine and slowly swimming around his plant again :)

Another observation: I saw that when he swims he keeps his hurt fin closer to him and kind of tucked under. Hopefully he'll be getting better soon.

Tomorrow I'm changing the water and doubling the salt to .2 Wish me luck for Lucky! :D

Okay, I just upped the level of salt to .3 and it looks like Lucky might make it. I've been changing all the water everyday and making sure the temperature and pH are as close as possible before I put him back in. I'm planning on another salt bath probably tomorrow also. He's been eating :D Not as much as I hoped, but he's still eating his food. The fungus is getting less noticable, but he still keeps his fin close to his body. He swims mostly around the bottom of the bucket because I think his fin hurts him a bit to use it. I think he's getting better tho :)

That's great news kissy and with the feeding - keeping it to a little each day will be better for his water quality.... otherwise your ammonia will climb to a bad level just before each waterchange...

It sounds like he's suffered some trauma and i'm glad the fungus is clearing up.

Hopefully he'll continue to improve and please, keep us posted :D

Fingers crossed

I gave Lucky his 2nd salt bath today with the same measurements and stuff. He was so much more relaxed in there this time. He was breathing and swimming normally, and mostly hung out under his plant that he loves so much lol. That plant goes wherever he does and it gets a white grainy coating from the salt when it dries lol. It seems like his fin is hurting him a little less too! Lucky is looking better every day :)

I feed him four soaked baby pellets everyday..he doesn't eat them all at once but they are all eaten thoughout the day. Is this a good amount of food?

I also forgot to post about this earlier..I used a pool test kit to look for chlorine in the tap water..none at all! So is a conditioner still necassary?

Hi Kissy - firstly, such good news about Lucky.... with continued care - i'd say continued improvement :D

Just on the conditioner - yes, absolutely - still use. Your water may still contain other heavy metals for example, copper, lead, zinc, aluminium and iron - plus chloramines (ammonia and chlorine). It's better to neutralise and be safe rather than sorry no? :D

And no, 4 baby pellets isn't a lot but perhaps it'd be better to feed him 2 that he eats straight away and then 2 at the end of the day. While they remain in his bucket, they'll just be causing the ammonia to climb more quickly... Food for thought? (excuse the pun) :D

vvvv? Not sure what they sell although have it on good authority, they stock Tetra Aquasafe, Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap water conditioner and AquaPlus water conditioner... Any of these are quite good. :D

I haven't gotten the chance to buy a conditioner yet, I'm working on bugging my mom to bring me today.

Lucky doesn't seem very good lately...he won't eat and he's been pretty lethagic. He just hangs out under his plant instead of swimming around everywhere in the bucket. He started getting these faint black patches on his head and back when he started acting sick a few days ago and they are getting darker. Is he just changing color or could it be something to worry about? I tested his water and everything is perfect. He still doesn't have an air stone but I'm faithfully changing water everyday at almost the same time. The salt is still at .3 The tetras in my tank are doing fine. His fin seems almost all the way healed. Do you think that it could be the lack of conditioner? Please help, I think he's getting worse :(

Kissy, I think you've been doing a great job, and Jen has been doing a great job helping you - I hope Lucky is looking a little better? Two possibilities occured to me: First, even though you've been so carefully changing his water every day, it's possible there was/is some ammonia buildup in the water, and that could contribute to ammonia burns. Ammonia burns turn black while they are healing, and, of course, they will stress the fish. A water treatment can help with this problem, especiallly if you get the kind that treats chloramine and/or locks up ammonia.

The second thing is that, because of all the stress he suffered before you rescued him, Lucky might have an infection. You're already doing several things to help him fight one off - keeping his water as clean as you can, and the salt treatment will eliminate a lot of common parasites and help him cope with stress. But, though it can slow it down, it may not be enough to eliminate a bacterial or viral infection. In case he has something like that, you might want to pick up a good general antibiotic like kanacyn or the two maracyns, which you can use together. You might want to start him on something like that. A lot of us have had good luck with the maracyns and the mardel products. If he remains lethargic for another day, and especially if you see any other signs of infection (for example, cloudy eyes, red streaks on his fins, any fin erosion, any more white stuff on his body or fins), start him on the antibiotic(s). I do hope this helps. And please let us know how he's doing.

I succeeded in getting a ride to the pet store today to buy Tetra Aquasafe and an air stone....ATTACHMENT! I hate when I buy the wrong things. Oh well.. I hope someone will take me next weekend x_x The brightside: it was less than a dollar and I'll probably end up needing it anyway. So I guess its not a totally lost cause :P

So when I got home I changed Lucky's water and added in the conditioner. I've been checking on him periodically and he seems to have perked up a bit. I can't tell for sure because I didn't watch him for as long as i usually do, but I caught him swimming around at the top a couple times :D Of course as soon as he saw me peering over the edge he hid back under his plant. He's probably just faking it so I give him all this attention and baby him :P No but really, he did seem a bit better. I think it was ammonia burns then. So was I doing something wrong to have that happen, or is it just that I needed to have the conditioner?

Kissy - you wanna know a great way of keeping him in clean water? :D Because it's only temporary - if you can, try get your hands on a second bucket then you can do the old bucket to bucket. So each day, when you transfer him into a new bucket, you can go clean and fill the second bucket with water, condition and have it ready for him to move into the following day then do the same again... It's easier for both of you as all you have to do is scoop him into a small container and gently place him in the new water. You can't successfully do a 100% waterchange without him having to come out of the bucket anyhow but if you have a another bucket already set up - it's much easier and nice and clean.

Food for thought? :D

No buckets...the only one I've got is a kitty litter one and I think it would need to be washed for days before I feel comfy with my fish in there. Maybe I'll go to Target or something and go buy a cheap little waste basket :P

That's cool :D You should see what i use. No regular buckets for me, no i use those white plastic storage tubs (with wheels) that have the lock on lids. I think they're mainly used to archive files :D but they're nice and big and they're great for when you need to do waterchanges on 5 tanks :D

Lucky died today...

I kind of had the feeling he might. As soon as I came home I went upstairs to check on him and saw him floating on his side at the top. It looked like he hadn't been gone for too long. Poor guy ._. I think I'm simply not meant to have goldfish...

Thanks to everyone who helped me with Lucky, especially JenW because she never left one of my posts uncommented and has helped me thru the whole way with two of my fish.

Have a nice day.

Archived