pH - 6.5 out of TAP 7.6

KA nil

GA - nil

NO2 - nil

NO3 - nil

15 Long tank size and have had for 4-5 years

Undergravel and top filter

Every two weeks used to change water, but now I change the water every week

I use stress coat and sometimes stress zyme. Recently I added Maracyn to tank.

Fish= 2 fancy gold (1.5 in), 1 pleco (2 in), 2 loaches (1.5 in), banjo catfish (2 in), 2 cory's (1 in), 2 tiretrack eels (3 in)

Feed: brine shrimp, sinking pellets, floating pellents, algea wafers, and yes I soak my food.

My not sick veiltailed fish recently developed a little bit of white spots on tail and a little shredding. The sick fish, a short fantail has a small dark pinhole spot on stomach.

Problems with sick fish. 1 month ago swim bladder problems began floating upside down at top or bottom didin't matter and was constipated. Can't seem to get my PH to go higher than 6.8. Moved 6 months ago from place with really hard water to ultra soft, but PH out of tap is around 7.6? Go figure. Anyway did the starve and give them pea trick, but little fish swim bladder just stayed so so. Yesterday fish was sitting upright on bottom breathing hard, eyes seemed a little sunken and gills a little swollen with no other indicators so I added Maracyn. Fish can eat and I moved to a hospital tank today and added along with the Maracyn a trisulfate.

What I think it is..... After feeding peas body may have had a rupture in intestine track leading to internal infection. Is there anything more I can do?

Right now fish in 5 gallon with airstone and medication.

Thanks for any help.

P.S. I added 4 new plants about 3 weeks ago and it probably contained some snails that may have carried in a disease.....

Ok first off I will give you a link to help with your PH problem, hopefully you can get that under control from that link..........

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_adjusting_pH.php

Next I will say that your tank is not cycled, this is important. Are you familar with the bio cycle?

What I would recommend right now other than the things listed above, is to fast for another day and then feed the peas.

Is the 5 gal tank cycled? That is a bit small for a sick fish, keep an eye on the params things can go down hill quickly.

Guest Orandatank

If cycling refers to having a biological filter I do have that since my tank is 4-5 years old/conintuously having fish. This fish has lived in the tank about 3 years. I have an AquaClear power will the 3 stage filter foam, carbon, and ammonia which I change one part out at a time every month to keep the bacteria going. Is this enough??? I even have kept the same foam filter and rinse it out periodically to keep the bacteria. Does this sound right???

Also, with my gravel bed I siphen in out 1/3 every week and take the power heads off occasionally to suck up any muck that got through.

I am truly getting stumped with the PH. I have tried PH push UP for 7.0 and it won't budge. Next I was going to try crushed coral, but I haven't researched enough how much to add and am concerned it could bother my eels that are usually fragile to changesl.

Am I doing anything right?

The 5 gallon tank is filled with water straight from it's original tank so I did not need think I needed to cycle it.

Thank you so much for your help.

Guest Orandatank

Another thing that I do is add 1 TBS of salt per gallon to my tank. In my hospital tank I added another TBS since goldfish usually like it.

Ok you have a filter but the biological cycle is not in place. For you to have cycled the tank the nitrates would be in place and from your above post they are 0.

Look at the chemistry section of the forum, there is a diagram that shows what happens.

I am not sure by your above statment if you have a 15 gal tank or what size it is, do you know how many gallons it holds? This is important.

I would definitly look into the coral to help with the ph problem, this could be adding to a sick fish.

Guest Orandatank

It's a 15 gallon long.

I apologize I do not have a test for the nitrate, I wrote the wrong thing. I assume since my ammonia and nitrite are 0 and I do water changes that my nitrate the final stage of break down would follow the same suit.

No biggie about writing the wrong #, happens all the time. Those 2 are very close in spelling. ;)

Now I have some bad news. You are very overstocked and this is leading to poor water. You will need to invest in getting the other tests so that you can monitor what is happening in your tank. Probably bumping up water changes accordingly to what they say, but most likely 2 times a week.

Nitrates are the final stage of the cycle and need to be kept around 20. Any higher and you have to change the water to lower them. In a cycled tank they are present, they are what control the ammonia and nitrites from hurting the fish.

Also the salt dose is 1 teaspoon per gal not Tblsp, easy mistake again.

Have you been able to get the coral yet?

Guest Orandatank

Okay, got the nitrate test this morning and measured my levels. Surprising enough I only have 5 mpg of Nitrate granted I have been doing water changes twice a week for a couple weeks now. Did get the coral and put it in tank via pet store fish dept. instructions. (fingers crossed).

So, I have no ammonia, no nitrite, and pretty low nitrate. I am assuming with your help that I probably had too much nitrate at some point, but since fish were always in good health I never noticed till fantails recent problem. I know it is INCREDIBLY overstocked, but am upgrading to a larger tank when I move in 3 weeks to probably a 45 gallon.

Currently sick fish is sitting on the bottom of his hospital tank and keeping more and more upright (good sign I hope) and can swim around, but still sits on bottom of tank. I fed him peas last night and they came out as same color and good consistancy. so hopefully swim bladder is calming down. Now the other fish in my tank 15 gal. comes to the glass near the hospital tank and parks and watches the sick fish. Think it knows?

Also, for salt I usually add 1 TBS per 5 gallons.

Thanks again for your help. :) I will check PH in a couple hours to see if it has come up yet....

You're welcome. Ph can be a funny thing, I am still learning about it myself. There are many threads going on right now concerning it, so look around and I am sure you can pick up some tips.

What size is the hosp tank the sick fish is in? It may do better in the main tank with the params that good. It may take a couple days for him to bounce back. As long as there aren't any other problems existing.

Guest Orandatank

Hospital tank is just a 5 gallon. I am medicating both tanks, but thought keeping him in isolation since there is less current from the filters and stuff.

Till then I will keep on reading......

Thanks again.

Archived